AudioSource Amp 5.1
Description: 100 Watt (4 ohm) Monoblock Amp

Submitted by Marc S. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp to power a sub for my computer room sound system. In that regard it does a really good job.

I compared its sound quality against a Marantz MA500 and a Mackie 1400i . I actually preferred the sound of the AMP 5.1 over the other two in terms of sound quality, with the MA500 a close second followed by the Mackie.

The comparisions were made using a DIY sub with 2 different drivers tested in the same enclosure. One of the sub drivers was a car audio Soundstream USA12 DVC which had 4 ohm voice coils wired in parallel. The AMP 5.1 never even hiccuped with the 2 ohm load! Pretty impressive for a 100.00 amp! The MA500 would play it but not very loudly before shutting down, of course the mackie had no problems with the 2 ohm load either.

I only gave a 3 star rating for overall for 2 reasons, the continuos fan that does get annoying, and the useless high pass filter that should have been a low pass! Come on Audiosource... you could have sold a lot more of these amps with a fixed 80hz or adjustable low pass filter!!!!

Submitted by Jordan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had 2 of these amps for a while and they run a system with 2 speakers that dont need much power, they sound pretty good considering they aren't that great of speakers. I just purchased some MMG's I am going to see if I can get them to run them (this will be fun), if it works good, I'll check back in later. I give the 5.1's a value rating of 5 because you can't beat the price for what you get, and overall rating of 4 because I think there could have been atleast 1 more feature to them.

Submitted by Perry Dillner a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
Hook up was very easy. It works just fine for my center channel in my home theatre setup. I wish this amp had an auto-on feature. Never runs hot or overloads when playing movies at high volume levels.

This seems to be a very good deal for the $99 + shipping I spent at Spidergear.com. You can't go wrong if you need the 70 watts at the 8 ohm rating.

Someone should buy this if you're center channel amp is having problems in you're H/T receiver like mine !

Submitted by paul gossert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
for 129 dollars you cant beat it. sounds great, much more powerful that 100 watts would seem. very satisfied

Submitted by ROBERT G a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is maybe the one of the most effective cheap tweeks you can do for your HT system if you have a center channel pre-out. This amp is usually on sale at Spidergear.com for less a $100 before shipping (get someone like JandR to price match since at least they answer your Emails). I bought this used on the marketplace at this particular site for the intention of using this for a passive car sub for HT. Unfortunately the peak light keeps lighting up during action packed scenes at theater reference levels though you wouldn't notice this as the sub never distorted.

The main thing I use it for currently is the Center channel of my HT which is far superior to amp in my Denon 2400 (this is a very good AVR but still it's trying to compete with a pure amp). The separation and detail of this amp is phenomenal and definately took the center channel to a higher performance level (Optimus CS5). I advise anyone who uses an AVR with a good center pre-out (the lower end pioneer I had couldn't do this) to use this only if you have a setup to put this in an enclosed area as the fan is noticible during quiet passages and the fan is on constantly from start to finish. Mono-blocks are definately the way to go.

Some concerns, this thing lacks an auto-on switch and draws enough power using a 3-prong outlet that you can't use an accessory outlet of your AVR to switch it on or off. This also lacks a 12v trigger as well though it has a front rocker switch toggle to turn on/off with. This thing is also setup where you can "daisy-chain" the power cord (not a conventional type socket just like what is on the computer) but I don't know if you can turn on/off all the amps hooked-up in a series with one flick of the switch (instruction book or the web site doesn't state this). The cut-off switch for the high pass doesn't indicate whether the cut-off is in the depressed or out position (sorry can't remember off hand one way or the other). The amp also produces a slight hum for the first 30 minutes then after that there's no problems (I think this might have more to do with a flourescent light being on the same circuit).

How does this compare to the other amps listed above? First of all I would rather own two of these over just the Amp-1a as these seem to more power in the two-channel setup and are far more flexible for most usages. The Adcom is far brighter though it does possess more control in the bass department but it lacks the resolution of details these mono-block possess (in fact it was demoted to driving the passive sub). Though the Denon is a good AVR it doesn't compare to the sheer performance of an amp that only has to do one duty and one duty only (neither does a friends Denon AVR95 or another friends Yamaha 1105). This definately a good product if used for the purpose of driving one-channel though I would consider the 5.3 if you want to drive a sub. I just wish this had a low pass filter as well as this also pushed the slight leak that the Denon, a friends Yamaha, and my Technics decoder allow to bleed thru their respective sub-outs.

I will give this a 5 for value since it is the cheapest new high current amp availible (wait til hopefully Outlawaudio try something like this). I will knock down a speaker for the continous running fan, and another speaker for not having a low-pass filter as most people will most likely try this out for a sub (which was my original reason for purchasing this). This does make it where I will definately buy a pair of their 5.3 for my future system.