Audio Matiere Equilibre
Description: 60 watts per channel - Tube

Submitted by Helmut Mueller a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
This stereo amp delivers 60 watts pure class A tube power, which sound like well over 100 watts class A/B. It matches perfectly with my Martin Logan SL3s, mirroring every change in the signal preceding it. It is very detailed, smooth, and powerful. Audio Matiere no longer exists, but the follow-up company is Audio Aero.
The 40kg. amp has huge in- and output transformers reminiscent of the jadis 80 monos. Since both have 60 watts class A power, they are probably very similar.
I would recommend it to anyone with Martin Logans.
I would also recommend the use of a tube preamp. My original tube amp was the Audium 6C6 using one 6922 double triode (original price, $ 1000,--). I compared it to a Threshold T2 and found the Threshold to be slightly more precise, but after many listening hours, also to be more boring, delivering less of a natural sound (what ever that may be). Connecting by local tube dealer, I was informed, that the original 6922 was a cheapo. Seventy-five dollars later my Audium had the precision of the Threshold plus that wonderful tube sound.
My tip: get the simplest tube preamp of a manufacturer, put in some nos or fine new tubes and save thousands.
Does anyone have any info on the equilibre apart from the power rating? Can anyone help me? I don´t have any other info. My email is: h.emery@t-online.de
Thanks friends.