Aragon 8008BB
Description: 200W/ch

Submitted by simon tam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2011

Bottom Line:
LET ME START BY SAYIN THE 8008BB IS VERY GOOD AMPLIFIER THAT NEEDS TO BE CAREFULY MATCHED WITH THE COMPONENTS THAT DRIVE IT AND SPEAKERS THAT IT DRIVES, MY AUDIO RESEARCH LS-16 IS A VERY GOOD MATCH WITH THE 8008BB THERE STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESS COMPLIMENT EACH VERY WELL SO THE REST OF MY REVIEW WILL BE BASED ON THAT COMBINATION CONNECTED WITH BALANCED JPS LABS ULTRACONDUCTOR 2 THAT IS 5 METERS LONG CONECTED TO 2 8008BB IN A TRUE BIAMP/BIWIRE SETUP DRIVING USHER BE-718 TINY DANCER . THE ARAGON 8008BB IS FAST VERY NEUTRAL AMP THAT IS EXTREMLY DYNAMIC AND THE SOUND STAGE IS HUGE VERY WIDE AS FAR AS DEPTH YOU GET WHATS ON THE RECORDING THE BASS OF THE 8008BB IS ABOUT AS GOOD AS IT GETS UNLESS YOU GOT BIG MONEY [ LEVINSON PASS LABS, BOULDER, YOU GET THE DRIFT I HOPE] THE 8008BB MIDRANGE AND HI END ARE JUST A BIT LIVELY SIDE OF NEUTRAL WHICH IS WHY I RECOMMEND A HIGH QUALITY TUBE LINESTAGE. YOU GET THE POWER,SPEED,PRECISION OF SOLID STATE COMBINED WITH A TOUCH OF TUBE MAGIG. IF YOU ARE IN THE MARKET FOR A BIG POWERFUL BEAST OF AN AMPLIFIER I HIGHLY RECOMMED THIS AMP 90% OF WHAT THEY BIG HIGH PRICED SUPERAMPS WILL GIVE YOU AT A FRACTION OF THE COST IF YOU CAN FIND ONE THERE GETTING SCARCE PEOPLE THAT BUY KEEP EM THAT SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING IN ITSELF HAPPY LISTENING!

Submitted by Jungle Jack a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
Hello,
I truly think the 8008BB represents one of the great amplification values of all time. Over the years, I have owned a 4004 MKII, 8002, 8008ST, 8008X3, and the 8008BB. Aside from the Palladiums, even in this exalted company, note of them compare.

Much of this is due to the dual 1.1 kVa toroidal transformers and twice the capacitance of the 8008ST (140,000u vs 70,000). Many highly regarded 5 channels amplifiers power supplies do not even come close to this. Add exceptional build quality and being made in America and you have a classic.

The only thing I can say negative about it are the relatively low budget binding posts. If using a tough to drive speaker, you have just found manna.
Cheers,
John

Submitted by rangeroo22 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
I previously owned a Plinius SA 100 MKIII and I must say it was my all time favorite amp,that is until the Aragon. The 8008BB does many of the same things well that the Plinius did. Great female vocals,tremendous layering of soundstage,very musical midrange. Where the Aragon really excels though,is decay of notes produced by piano and cymbals,a viselike grip on low end bass notes,and DEPTH of soundstage If you have the ability to get your speakers away from the rear wall, this amp is unmatched in my experience, for front to back depth of soundstage layering... The minute details of your recordings will come through like NEVER before! Class "A" first 26 watts,A/B after that.This is a great amp for all types of music because of the incredible seperation and "air" between different entities in the recordings.Runs quite hot after full warmup (not quite as hot as the Plinius though).The one thing that may be misconstrued as a "weakness" of this amp is the awesome accuracy.Crap in,crap out,if you know what I mean. The reallly good part though,is great sound in,great sound out... Overall,a GREAT VALUE,especially at $1200-$1500 on the used market,nothing in the same league for the used price.

Submitted by A-Audiophile a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
I Love this Amp, after searching years for an affordable yet powerful amp I found this used and bought it with one listen. The amp is on the warmish side but does not hold anything back in terms of clarity or detail, bass if full and imageing is first rate.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   store

Submitted by Shank2001 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is actually a review of the Aragon 8008 MK II, but since it does not exist on this site yet I will put it here under the unit that it replaces the 8008BB.

Well I own a Sony TA-E9000ES and 3 TA-N330ES 300 watt mono amps. I have had these Sonys for 10 years, but a few weeks ago I blew up the two fronts by shorting the speaker wires between the two amps... apparently this was too much for the protections and bam, bye bye Sonys.

We I then so I bought a B&K Reference 3220 with three channels at 220 watts each. It was a step up from the Sonys but barely... I am not sure I would have been able to tell the difference in a blind test... maybe, the B&K was better but it was subtle. I really had to listen for a difference (one of my sonys still works so I was able to compare a lot.... as long as it was not worse than my sonys I was happy, I did not thing an amp could be much better anyway).

Then one of the B&K channels dropped its power output by quite a bit... making it softer than the other channels, I could get it to fix itself if I hit the side of the cabinet, but it eventually would vibrate itself back to a slightly muted state (even at low volume levels). Must be a loose output transister or something? I was very sad because the B&K Reference 3220 is discontinued and I got a great deal on it, so I am going to return it.

But it turns out that luck was in my favor, otherwise I would never have found the Aragon 8008MK II. The difference really is STUNNING. No doubt which amp is better! The Aragon just blows away the B&K amp. No contest. I had no idea an amp could make this much difference in the sound, and I honestly had thought that in this day and age all decent amps are pretty close to each other. I was wrong. This amp was like lifting a viel that had been over my music for 10 years!

There is no way this amp is just 200 watts per channel. Talk about conservative rating! It blows my supposedly 300 watts per channel sonys away, not to mention the B&K at 220 watts.

I now wonder what other upgrades I should do that I "thought" would not really make much difference.

Regards,