Yamaha RX-797 Receivers

• High Dynamic Power
  • Low-Impedance Drive Capability

Submitted by spiralout112 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2011

Bottom Line:
Amazing amp, have it hooked up to a pair of totem dreamcatchers and the sound is absolutely incredible, I have a nice pair of sennheiser 595's with a little dot mkIII tube amp and I thought that was good, but this is a whole different ballpark.

The amp is a little light on the bass, but has incredible mids and highs, and if im craving a more upfront bassline i move the knob the smallest possible ammount and it sounds perfect, where its at normally is though is just fine. Another thing, this amp has made me love a bright high end, this amps not bright though it just puts the highs in there in such a incredibly detailed and present way, its actually quite something, now ive got the trebel maxed out in my truck but its not enough, im addicted to nice highs now :p

Also the loudness control amazes me still to this day, I have a sound in mind and tweaking that control brings it to exactly where I want it, whoever made that obviously knew what they were doing.

Only complaint I can think of is that the remote could be better, my buddy picked up a comparable yamaha receiver and the remote is much nicer, that and a way to control the loudness control from the remote would be about the only thing I could ask for, except a nice dac maybe.

Submitted by rseats a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have my 797 bi-amped with a Onkyo M282 to four Polk RtiA3's. Two of the Polk's are bookshelf speakers in a concrete basement, and the other two are floor standing speakers upstairs in the main living part of my house. The sound is nothing short of phenominal. Evey aspect of the sound is precise. Perfect highs, and the bass is killer. The Polk A3's are the perfect match for the RX797. You have to be positive that the zone 2 for the bi-amp is set correctly, and you'll have what I think is the perfect system for the money. And, you can crank thebejeebers out of the volume for a crisp, clear sound. Couldn't be happier. This system replaced what I was convinced couldn't be replaced. Yamaha, Onkyo, and Polk make wonderful products.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by catzoo a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp after auditioning several sub-$500 models, including lower priced Yamaha models, Harmon Kardon and possibly one other brand. I chose the RX 797 because, in the showroom, it sounded far cleaner and richer than the other models. However, after 2 years of use I can't say I'm satisfied with my system's sound. Though clearly cleaner, smoother and richer than the other amps I tried that day, it nonetheless has a cold, sterile sound overall that I've never taken great joy in, and which I can't listen to for all that long before I become I get worn out. The overall sound is simply thin, with the exception of a few extremely well engineered albums that do come through as rich sounding.
I have to add one big caveat, however. I run this amp through a 20+ year old pair of Yamaha speakers (NS200MA) that are very, very cold. I have often wondered what would happen if I ran the Yamaha amp through a modern pair of speakers that had a warm sound. Possibly then I'd be satisfied with the sound.
I can say that the Yamaha is a wonderfully built piece of equipment - soild, good feel to controls and an excellent FM tuner. In fact, I often prefer listening to music via the tuner since it sounds generally warmer.
My music is Apple Lossless and MP3 files streamed through a Squeezebox Classic hooked up to a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic external DAC. The external DAC was a huge improvement over the internal DAC in the squeezebox, but hasn't been enough to overcome the coldness in the amp and/or speakers.
My next move, when I get money together, will be to replace the speakers. It would be great if that's all I need and I can continue to use the Yamaha amp. In spite of all I've said against the AMP, for some reason I do like it (maybe its simple honesty of design and intergrated FM tuner), and hope better speakers will do the trick.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by critter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2009

Bottom Line:
1bought this Yamaha 797 to replace my old Kenwood km-205 power amp an control amp.(1987)I have owned Yamaha stuff through the years and was really suprised at the total lack of 2 cahannel amps out there.I'm running a pair of Cerwin 715s and have finally found a real solution to my tired old Kenwood.In a word,clean,even at high listening levels this amp rocks.From Diana Crawl to the Band this amp never fails to deliver a soild clear sound even with my old vinyl collection.100 watts seems to be plenty to drive the old 15 inch woofers with outstanding bass respones,still a little bright in the mid to high range,thats what tone controls are for right? The cd direct is a nice touch and seems to work well.With a tuner like this i can't see myself paying extra for the XM radio subscription,the fm tuner is amazing.I'm hearing music as i have never heard it before.Really happy with this baby and would recommend this to anyone looking for great value at an oustanding price.One thing i would do right away is go and spend the money to get yourself really good connectors for cd,tape, turntable ,etc.Really make a big difference in the overall sound quality.Buy this puppy you will be truly amazed

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Zvukoljub a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2008

Bottom Line:
I grew up with old, analog Sansui receiver and a pair of Pioneer AS303 DIY floorstanders (both around 35 yrs old), so it is a bit specific type of sound that I used to listen. I value depth, precision, dynamics and everything, but above all, I value the live-sounding system. When time has come to buy a new amp, I was sarching for similar sound, and that was not an easy thing to find. Tried many products in that price range (NAD, Rotel, Denon, Cambridge Audio, HK etc) and almost lost hope, really... So I consider this Yamaha as a saviour of my music-listening.

RX-797 has a simple and functional design, looks great, and has great build quality, too. Display is large and clean (orange is absolutely best for display color, it reads much better from the distance than blue or green), and all functions are easy to use. Also, there is plenty of inputs and outputs, everything you could need, I think. The sound is great: powerfull, precise and deep bass, rich mids, clear and balanced high frequencies. CD direct AMP is superb. FM tuner has strong and clean sound. In fact, this Yamaha is as they asked me what I expect from a stereo receiver in any possible way, and I believe that says it all.

Purchased At:   4audio, Serbia