Yamaha HTR-5630 Receivers

3.2/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $145.00

• 5-channel discrete amplification (70W x 5)
  • Provides DTS, DTS Matrix 6.1 (phantom), Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro Logic II decoding
  • 96kHz/24-Bit Digital-To-Analog Converter
  • 21 different sound programs yielding 41 variations

Submitted by GoldenEars7 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought this Yamaha receiver with the expectation that I would most likely return it because it wouldn't sound good. When I got home and hook it up, I couldn't believe the quality of the sound and the versatility. In the stereo mode it sounded as good as my NAD 116 pre-amp with a NAD 218 THX. In the 5 channel stereo mode it blew my socks off. I have a BA PV-600 subwoofer and the overall sound was so thick and rich that I felt as if I was in a club. It has been a very reliable unit as well. I was worried whether the 1.2 db of headroom might make the receiver clip at high volumes. I called Yamaha's technical support and they told me that if I keep the volume below -15 db I should have no problem. Before I spoke with them I never had to turn it above -28 db to have sound very loud. I usually listen at -40 db. You can buy more expensive surround sound receivers but the sound improvement will be quite subtle.

Submitted by J.C. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2007

Bottom Line:
Works great, lasts long time. I've been very happy for the several years i've owned the unit. I was moving this one to the bedroom and researching a HiDef upgrade for the family room. I'm trying a harmon kardon now, but after only a few days will be returning it to fry's electronics and going for another yamaha. What was I thinking...

Submitted by Nilsuleion a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
I was given this as a gift Christmas of 2004 or 05, and i love it. i listen to loud music all the time and it has put up with the abuse i have given it. i have many different items connected up to this receiver and the sound options make all of them sound good. when you crank it really loud you loose some quality and it gets a little hazy but for how cheap the unit is it works great. the sub on it hits really nicely. the down fall is it doesn't automatically adjust with the volume nob and it has its own volume nob on the sub. but other then that its really nice. i would recommend this system to anyone that wants 5.1 surround sound at a good price. you will be impressed. it has been used and abused and i say this system rocks.

Purchased At:   gift

Submitted by msrosn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2006

Bottom Line:
Worked great for the 20 times it has been used. Then, one day out of the blue, I turned it on for a while, then turned it off, then a while later decided to turn it back on and it goes off by itself after 3 seconds. I tried to plug it into another outlet but still the same thing. We have had no power surges, wasn't turned up loud, the surge protector is a Monster brand one (paid over $100.00 for that surge protector) and every thing else connected to it works fine. I've tried contacting Yamaha, but no answer by phone or email. I own several of their products but will be getting rid of them to purchase another brand....I've had great luck with Pioneer, Harman Kardon, and Sony. This receiver has hardly been used and was the one in our bedroom. It should be still under warranty. (I sent card in when purchased but seems to be missing) and I can't find the receipt.

Purchased At:   Fry Electronics