Sony STR-DE345 Receivers

· 5.1-channel input with surround control · Preprogrammed remote operates many brands of A/V equipment · Dolby Pro Logic decoding · Virtual Dolby surround sound · Digital Signal Processing with 4 acoustic environments

Submitted by Mattster73 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
What an amp. If you can get your hands on one of these, do it. It rules. Loud, crisp sound and wicked 5.1 sound with a DVD player connected. I've had 9 sweet years performance out of this baby and I have no plans to trade her in.

Submitted by P. Lasko a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2009

Bottom Line:
Great amp and very sensitive reciever. I live in a fringe FM area and it really pulls the stations in. I use it to power some Infinity speakers. The sound and surround seperation is comperable to Bose in my opinion. Basically it rocks and my friends enjoy movies in 5.1 at this house. No trouble with this unit for 5 years now.

Submitted by jwd_jr2004 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this, my first reciever, a couple years ago and it has never let me down. I push a couple of SONY 3-way floor speakers (ss-mf415) which can handle 200w. The sound quality is IMPECABLE. I found the reciever pretty easy to use and hook up, although I do not have surround sound speakers. I like the sound fields and use "dolby v" constantly. I like the remote commander that came with it; it can be used for any moderately new component, sony or not, that you may have.

The reciever is getting slightly out of date by today's standards, it is Pro Logic 5.1 and has not digital audio inputs. From what i can tell from my research, this would force you to rely on a dolby digital decoder or a decoder in a fancy dvd player to enjoy 5.1 ch surround.

The reciever does get hot after a few minutes of near-max amping. I love mine like a child so i either put a fan by it or blow on it every ten minutes or so.

A good reciever, especially if you don't plan on using surround or have a dolby dig. decoder in you dvd player.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by Julian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased this AMP near 4 months ago and have had no major problems. I'm running 2 Genexxa GX 4000 speakers, 200 watts a piece. They sound great until about 20 points of volume when they start distorting. I'm constantly living in a 30 digree climate and after about 30 minutes of playing the AMP is boiling hot. I find the remote a pane in the ARSE!! Its flimsy and HUGE(But the glowing buttons are cool though)

But the STR-DE345 still has alot going for it. It has heeps of grunt and the treble is great. Its sweet to look at and has a cool Protection overload system. The Controls are well lade out and it has plenty of inputs including 5.1 channel dolby. Its cheap as chips and is ideal for a first REAL Amp.

Overal well done SONY.

(Does anyone out there have a copy of the manual for this amp in pdf format they could send me? If so please send to:

dogbeachpc@optusnet.com.au

Purchased At:   Tandy Electronics (Like Radioshack)

Submitted by Ryan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have had this receiver for less than a month. I use it for the sole purpose of playin music. I got it dirt cheap on ebay. Basically the only major problem i have had so far is that a channel went out i heard its pretty typical with all sony receivers. not a lot of hiss. I have it pushin 2 Audiobahn 12 in subs rated at 400W a piece.

Purchased At:   EBAY