Sony STR-DE845
Description: The STR-DE845 has the power and processing to get the best out of your source - whether it is a DTV or DSS broadcast, DVD, or a simple VHS tape. The STR-DE845 incorporates Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, and with Sony's exclusive Digital Cinema Sound system-makes your movies sound exactly the way they were meant to be. Bring state-of-the-art digital cinema into your home with the feature-packed STR-DE845. 24-bit processor gives you super-precise Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, while a separate 32-bit processor handles Sony's exclusive Digital Cinema Sound - soundfield circuitry based on acoustic measurements made at Sony Pictures Studios movie production stages. You'll hear movie soundtracks the way the producers and directors intended it to be heard. There are 27 different DSP modes in all. The STR-DE845 has the power and processing to get the best out of your source - whether it is a DTV or DSS broadcast, DVD, or a simple VHS tape. The STR-DE845 incorporates Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, and with Sony's exclusive Digital Cinema Sound system-makes your movies sound exactly the way they were meant to be. Bring state-of-the-art digital cinema into your home with the feature-packed STR-DE845. 24-bit processor gives you super-precise Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, while a separate 32-bit processor handles Sony's exclusive Digital Cinema Sound - soundfield circuitry based on acoustic measurements made at Sony Pictures Studios movie production stages. You'll hear movie soundtracks the way the producers and directors intended it to be heard.

Submitted by khellandros66 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had this receiver now since May,01 and it is fantastic. My theater is made up of a Sony NVP-300B, a Harman/Kardon FL8380, a pair of modified Optimus Front 3-Ways, I added a new pair of mids and bass cones which took the old FS(75hz-20kHz) to (35hz-20kHz) They sound much better now
I have a Yamaha NS AC-40X Center
FS(80hz-20kHz)
A pair of Optimus Pro-LX 2-way rears
FS(80hz-20kHz) According to my calculations of the room size and decibal gain they have an FS(63.281hz-20kHz)
and last but not least a
JBL PB12 Subwoofer which has a 250w RMS amp and 12in Four ohm cellulose cone with butyl rubber surround FS(25hz-150hz) with room dB/frequency gain (18hz-15hz+/4dB).

Testing this receiver's limits was actually fun. When listening to music in stereo mode (A.F.D.) there is little to no immediate THD, that is untill i turn the volume up more than 70%
The playback of multichannel Dolby Digital and dts is phenominal.
My reference movies and audio cds are (included are the modes of the receiver)
The Generals Daughter(HDCD) A.F.D.; this is a good disc for testing the spatial imaging of the receiver in stereo mode, the soundtrack contains full range responses and wide imaging.
Gladiator (DVD DTS:ES), Virtual Multi Rear; Even though the receiver can not
decode 6.1 its Virt Multi Rear Mode can provide a very convincing 6.1 feel.

Ohter widely used modes are

Cinema Studio EX: B cause it is not as laid-back as A or C and C has too much of an artificial sound to it even with the reverb and mode turned down.

Virtual Multi Dimension which gives the track a more spacial feel.

Virtual Multi Rear which is a good supplament to 6.1 it also means not needing a surround back channel

Opera House for my Copacabana CD with the mode setting turned up just a bit

Game for my computer when I lay Diablo2

and Mono Movie for the AMC channel and vhs.

Another strength is the bass management I am able to set my front channels to large while using the LFE out. Most receivers make you choose small and 80hz-200hz xover settings in 50hz steps
while the 845 lets choose small or large and if you choose small you have choice of 60hz-180hz in 30hz steps.

that is all i have to say!

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Gosh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a pretty average product. A few fun 'bells and whistles'. However, we all know once you find the sound settings you like, they never change much. I found the sound extremely flat. I recently replaced this unit with the 3801 from Denon - and WOW - you would not believe the difference. It's as if my speakers have come alive. I wouldn't have thought there could be that big of a difference. I think I just became very complacent with an average product until I took the time to discover something special. This product is completely over-rated - look elsewhere.

Purchased At:   The Good Guys

Submitted by Brad Grove a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a very capable amp/receiver and I would recommend it as the center piece for a decent home theatre system. I have a pair of Wharfdale valdus 500s and a D-Box 300 sub and this baby really rocks.

I have not yet found it necessary to turn the volume past half way and even then the room shakes so much that the CD starts skipping (jumping). With onboard DTS and AC3 (dolby digital) and dedicted 5.1 RCA input home theatre never sounded so good.

There are however a couple of things that really pi## me off about this unit.

1. The colour scheme used for the remote control (light green on white for the function buttons). That is just plain stupid. I can't actually read the thing in dim light so have to memorize which function button does what.

2. The remote control design. The flip top secondary control panel is flimsy (mine is already broken).

3. Lack of a Digital input for the CD (I prefer optical). I have had to hook my CD player up to the TV/SAT input for digital. I have also used RCAs to the CD input but the DAC in this unit is good and preferable to the one in my CD player.

Other than those couple of things this is really quite a good unit for the price and I do not regret the purchase.

Purchased At:   Harvey Norman

Submitted by Kelly a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
Set out with the objective of finding an affordably priced receiver w/both DTS and Dolby Digital onboard. Of the 6 or 7 units fitting this description, the Sony seemed to be the best choice----good power, nice looks, universal remote, DTS & 5.1, etc......Nearly a year later, I am very happy with this unit. As a former "audiophile" (circa 1986), I am now married w/children. With this said, the Sony is everything my family and I need and then some--a nice addition to our family.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Ron Terry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have found very few weaknesses with this product worth mentioning.
Having DTS, Dolby Digital, excellent sound fields, and a coaxial input for my Toshiba DVD player this product will be around awhile.

I took a major leap in technology with this receiver, something like going from a 4x86 to a Pentium 4. I upgraded my old Technics SA-GX350 Pro-Logic Receiver I bought back in '93, and WOW where the hell have I been.

You should see my grin on my face when my girl field starts looking around at the rear speakers during movies !!!

I have yet to go half way on the volume, and I live in the middle of a two-acre plot.

Anyhow, my system is:

Sony STR-DE845 Receiver
Toshiba SD-1700 DVD
Raite 711 DVD (good for VCD's)
JVC HR-S3800U S-VHS VCR
RCA DRD-515RB DirecTV w/Optical DDigital out, and RF remote.
Sanyo 31" TV -Wal-Mart for $369 / you can't go wrong!!!
Yamaha NSA638 Front
Yamaha YST-SW90 Sub
Technics SB-C21 Center
Technics SB-S27 Rears
I over killed them with 12 gauge speaker wire.
Everything is S-Video, and patched through a RCA control center.

Purchased At:   Best Buy