Sansui G-5700 Receivers

4.45/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $630.00

Submitted by demort71 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2014

Bottom Line:
I do my share of electronics horse trading-buying and selling receivers, speakers and turntables (especially the latter). In the past 2 yrs. I have gotten into the vintage electronics hobby. I purchased mainly vintage electronics made 1978-82.

My first grown up amp/receiver was a Sansui AU-217 amp that I bought new in 1979. Recently I have owned several Sansui products and still have 8 Sansui amps and receivers at this writing, as well as a few Sony & Technics pieces. Besides a G-5700, I also have a G-5500 and G-4700 receiver. The Sonys include a STR-V3 and V5-both great pieces, as well as a wonderful Technics SA-505. So these are my points of reference for this review.

The G-5700 has more power than I will ever use. I have it in my basement, which has a 8 foot drop ceiling, carpeting & drywall. Not bad acoustics down there for stereo listening.

I have been running a pair of DCM CX-27 speakers, which can't handle all the power the 5700 could throw at it. They are still excellent sounding speakers if you can keep your foot out of it. They are a 6 ohm speakers too. In lower volume ranges it does fine and as you turn it up, you realize you are messing with a giant on your hands. I think the 150W rating is a little low. It does seem more like 200W total than 150W.

I have a SL-Q3 Technics table on the system that I run a lot of different vintage cartridges on. The G-5700 was bred to play vinyl. It does a very nice job with this combo. Sound is clean, rich, strong, well defined and commanding. Sound stage? Very good, but that is dictated by your speakers & other components and the media type.

The receiver is quite a work of art & a pleasure to look at. I yanked the clear bulb out of the tuner dial (it was DOA) and added a blue LED light to the tuner dial. It is just mesmerizing to look at it. The power meters are definitely cool & appear fairly accurate.

I seldom listen to the radio, but the blue digital tuner display works on this one (thank God) as it should. It is not uncommon for the display to malfunction. The radio will still work though.

I would say the 5700 has a slightly different sound than the G-5500. I won't choose one over the other and won't sell either one off at this point. The 5700's presence is more forceful, while the 5500 has a darker sound, but it also both clean and very musical.

Most people are going to love and respect any of the Sansui models in this generation of receivers. Even the G-4700 is a nice receiver with many of the same attributes as the far more powerful 5700. It has a very similar sound to its big brother.

The G-X700 series of receivers is recognized as Sansui's last generation of quality receivers. Supposedly after that they started to cheapen them up. I would say that is a accurate analysis of what happened in the 1980s to the electronic products of one of the greatest stereo manufacturers of the golden years of electronics. That is not to say any Sansui amp or receiver was junk. Their amps continued to be fairly good compared to what other manufacturers were putting out after 1982.

At any rate there is no reason to not own the G-5700 if you want power and quality sound. It will blow away other receivers in this power rating category in a lot of ways. Get one that has been serviced or that is in proper working order and there's no reason you won't like it.

Also, give it a few days of play time to let the electronics sort themselves out if it has been in storage for awhile. Most systems seem to need to be seasoned a little before they play their best.

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2014

Bottom Line:
I can not explain how happy I am about this receiver (Sansui G-5700). I just got it gave to me from a HI-FI repairr company that was going bankrupt. All I did was clean all the pots and switchs and it came to life. It's 75 watts sounds more like 100+. It really cranks the music.

Submitted by Adolfo O a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2010

Bottom Line:
It's a little bit sad for me to write this review, but after read all the reviews, regarding not only this Sansui receiver but all the ones on the G series, I can't wait to express how happy I am and how afortunate I was.
Not being english my primary language, I apologize for any mistake I can make writing this.
It was back in 1979-1980, don't recall exactly, that my uncle came from Germany after 10 years studying Electric Engineering, and as a welcome gift, my grandpa bought him a Sansui G-5700 receiver and an Akai AP-207 turntable, along with a pair of big speakers, don't recall the brand, I believe Realistic.
I was a young boy then, but when I saw that beautiful piece of art and the georgeus cabinet my uncle had the thing in, I just said WOW!!!, you didn't see very often one of those 30 years ago.
The years passed and I never heard the G-5700 with the volume louder than 2 or playing another music than the classical or opera songs my uncle used to listen, ahhh if that beauty was mine........
I said at the beginning of this writing that is sad for me to write this review and that's because my uncle passed away 8 months ago, so I talk to my aunt who was in charge of all my uncle belongings that the G-5700 couldn't be in better hands than me, she said ok but forget about the cabinet.
Needless to say that my car never has had to hold that much weght, the seats, the trunk, everything was full.
That same day I hooked up all the cables and equipment, I turned the thing on, the sound from one of the speakers was not clear, something like static coming out from the tweeters.
I asked my friend who is an electronic technician and told me that probably the channel has mildew build up and that I should leave the receiver turned on overnight.
After a couple hours I noticed that the sound was clear in both channels and then.... then I started enjoying cristal clear and POWERFULL sound, ok until my wife preach me, " hey, neighbors are sleeping" jejeje, I didn't realize it was twelve o'clock.
Now, everybody in the neighborhood knows when there's a party going on in my place......

P.D.
I'm still having the issue of just after turn the G-5700 on, listen to that static.
Any light on this, feel free to email me at adotequiros@racsa.co.cr

Submitted by mfell a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
All I have to say about the G-5700 is wow! I have been running a KA7100 Kenwood and this thing just eats it up. I have a Sony GA7es surround reciever which supposidly has more power and again the 5700 just blows it away.

Purchased At:   Flea market

Submitted by audio2004 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
This Sansui G-5700 rocks! I have had it since 1979 with no problems! It belts out music better than some of the current models out their! Like they say "They dont build them like they use to". If you can get your hands on one, I would recommend buying it! Right now I have it hooked up to a pair of JBL'S and it does not miss a beat. Yes, AM reception is terrible, but who listens to talk radio anymore? I am hoping this lasts me 25 more years! I have moved to three cities with it, belted 70's,80's,90's and now millenium music and this stereo keeps rocking!

Purchased At:   American TV