Proton D940 Receivers

4.83/5 (18 Reviews)

40wpc Receiver dynamic power 120wpm

Submitted by jimlisenby a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2008

Bottom Line:
Highly recommended! Every audiophile or audio enthusiast should have at least one, for backup if nothing else. It is that good.

I bought my first Proton D940 Stereo Receiver on eBay a couple of years ago, and I liked it so well I bought two more. I am an audiophile, or at least an audiophile wannabe since about 1985,.and I am no novice when it comes to audio gear. Actually, I buy audio gear and refurbish it for resale, and a lot of equipment has passed through my hands over the years, so I recognize good stuff when I see and hear it.

A little known fact is that this company, Proton, has made some very fine equipment for other well known audio companies. Remember the early NAD stuff. Well, guess what? Proton made much of it including those powerful little receivers they sold so many of back then, and which now still bring good prices on eBay.

If you can't get your hands on a D940 Receiver, try the D540 Integrated Amp instead. Of course, you will need a separate tuner for it. It has the same basic power capabilites that the D940 has.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by The Thanh a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have been so surprised as listening to the sounds that PROTON D940 created. It's too amazing, especially the bass and treble sounds. The bass seems deepl-lying, fully plump and powerful as I want (Even though only 40WPC, but may be because of Dynamic Power on Demand Technology). The treble sounds fine, pianissimo.

All I want to say that the PROTON D940 would ever making everybody surprised with the quality and power of its sounds.

If I can find out another PROTON D940 in its original quality (not any services or repairs applied yet), I would buy it event though I already had one) !

Let's try the PROTON D940 and you would believe my opinion !

Purchased At:   Electronic Market

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
This was a great piece of equipment in it's day for a super low price. I bought mine in 1990 from Crutchfield on sale and my friend liked it so he bought one on 2nd markdowns for only $199 in 1991! I love the rich, strong sound this amp delivers. It's rated at 40w, but has plenty more on reserve for musical peaks. Sounds better than my Adcom GFA 545II 100w amp. Lots of real knobs for volume, bal, bass, treble. It also is bridgable, and has pre-out and amp-in connections. The only problem was the source and record selector switches get "scratchy" and need to be cleaned once a year, but other than that this was a very well built, heavy piece of equipment. The power supply in it is a beauty and is as big as a softball. After about 10 years of normal use, it started to hum. The hum got louder and I no longer use it, but I would buy one again if I found one in newer condition.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by Graham Henderson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought the D940 new in 1986 (in Australia hence the price) and later added a Proton tape player and Proton CD player. I've used the D940 for 17 years and it hasn't missed a beat. A really great sound. Current speakers are Wharfedale 600 but most of my listening is through Sennheiser 500 headphones.

Submitted by CHancuff a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
won at ebay auction a few weeks ago.

What a great find! New, in the box, with warrantee card, Proton D940!

This receiver won AudioVideo's International Magazine's Hi-Fi Grand Prix Award in:

. 1985!

Powers just about every speaker I've got. It's particularly entertaining to run my Shahinian Acoustic speakers (42" tall, 81lbs each) with this tiny thing.

proton d940 switch cleaning

hey all, 1st post here. i have a 10+ year old proton d940 receiver that has been a real work horse but now the selector switches are starting to become staticey and cut in and out. i took off the knobs but don't see how i can possibly shoot any tuner cleaner spray into the housing. it seems to ... Read More »

BLG CP024: