Pioneer SX-3800 Receivers

In Pioneer's extensive receiver lineup for 1980, The SX-3800 was in the upper third in terms of power and performance. It was rated at 60 watts per channel, which was more than sufficient to rock the house. It had extremely low THD: .005%, It's phono S/N ratio was an amazing 115dB. It had a list price of $500 and weighed in at over 35 pounds.

Submitted by Kate a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2017

Bottom Line:
I bought the Pioneer SX3800 with some Advent Speakers in the 1980's and I still love my sound system. It was worth every dollar I bought them for. Whatever you buy in the way of an amp make sure it has plenty of power to drive your speakers otherwise you're just not doing yourself any favors.
It took hours of listening to different speakers in various Sound Rooms to finally decide on the purchase of the Advent Speakers. Heard B&W's, JBL's, Polk Audio's and on and on it went for hours of listening with a boyfriend I had at the time. Finally I bought the Advents for their superb midrange clarity on vocals. Getting the Pioneer SX 3800 was such an easy decision in comparison. Whatever you do whilst looking/listening to various systems take the same Music Album/CDs with you so you can compare them. Sounds so fundamental but it is true and some get sucked into listening to what's on hand at each location which can suck one into buying the wrong equipment.

Submitted by Jerry Bandy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2017

Bottom Line:
I bought the SX-3800 back in the early 80s when I was in the Navy. I loved it and paired with my JBL 4311B, it would out crank my roommate's Yamaha pyramid amp and his tower Boston Acoustic speakers. The only problems that I ever had was that the led light on "Speakers A" went out and I replaced it. The other problem that I had was occasional static while turning the tuning dial. It could be fixed by turning the dial back and forth quickly several times. I suppose there was dust or built up oxidation on the contacts. The last problem was that it was so heavy and I moved quite a few times. The wooden covers on the rear eventually became slightly loose. Yeah, it was heavy but it took everything I through at it and always sounded great. I wish I still had it. Coupled with a dbx 128 and the JBLs, it was a killer system in it's time.

Submitted by gary a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2017

Bottom Line:
I saved this classic reciever from certain death. I was helping my broinlaw clean out his deceased fatherinlaws office and noticed this on a shelf under 3 other old receivers.He showed no interest and told me it was going in a disposal bin if i didnt want it. Got her home and after stainless cleanup, vacuum, deoxit, and some lemon oil for the wood sides i fired it up and was amazed. The only problem was I had to upgrade my speakers to wharfedale floorstanders and turntable to carbon debut dc! It must be rated conservatively as power and clarity are fabulous. What wasnt impressive was the brand new 80w/channel pioneer I bough for my summer home-it doesnt even compare to this old tank! If u ever see one grab it!

Submitted by rodneypeterson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2008

Bottom Line:
I purchased a new-in-the-box unit in 2006 from an eBay store http://stores.ebay.ca/envirosponsible. The price was high, $875, but I was willing to part with my hard-earned cash for such a rarity. I've seen many SX-3800's that were used go for much less, but I wanted to be the first to use mine. I'd always wanted one when they were released in the early 80's, and only recently found new-in-the-box units at the same time I had the cash.

When I received it and pulled it out of the box I was flooded with memories of longing for this shiny piece of gear. The best was yet to come though. When I hooked it up, the sound was crystal clear and very warm. While it's less power than I've become accustomed to, the 60w per channel really lit up my listening room.

Purchased At:   http://stores.ebay.c

Submitted by mrmanke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2006

Bottom Line:
After years of suffering with the lousy sound quality of various boomboxes, crumby shelf-systems, and mediocre computer speakers, I figured it was about time that I get a serious sound system so I can do serious listening on something other than my Grado SR325's. I bought a pair of Epicure 100's off ebay and needed a receiver until I could afford my own. So I dug my dad's Pioneer SX-3800 out of the garage and hooked it up. This thing rocks. I tested it out with a toshiba CD player and busted out some Steely Dan, Donald Fagen, Marcus Miller, Led Zeppelin, Mark Knopfler, Dire Straits. I don't know if it will be worth it to take this receiver out of the rig if I can buy another one. The sound is crystal clear and super-detailed. The quartz locked radio tuner is amazing. It gives its digital descendants a run for their money with its precision and clarity. The high per channel wattage is insane, I barely have to turn it up to be overwhelmed by the volume. The equilization control is minimal, but highly-functional. You can tweak your tunes a lot with the bass and treble controls. So overall...great sound, great features! It also looks awesome. It's got that old-school look of professionality and class, like something that wouldn't look out of place in a recording studio or at home. It's got super-sturdy construction. The thing weighs a lot. It was a frightening experience to lift it off of an overhead shelf, so watch out! I really like the system to connect the speaker cables to the back of the unit: a real slick approach where you just push in a button, insert the cable, release the button...and bingo! You're ready to rock. (A trivial detail I know, but it's pretty danged convenient.) Anywho...this is definately worth a look!