Pioneer SX 838

Submitted by Dave a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have an sx 838, 939 and a 950. They all sound great, but I find myself listening to the 939 more then any others. It sounds warmer and I like the tone controls allot better. The 950 seems a little crisper, but it may be due to a recent rebuild. bottom line out of all the vintage equipment I have owned, including a dozen or so other Pioneers and about half as many Marantz models. If I could have only one it would be my SX 939 pushing my Klipsh Fortes.

Submitted by Steve M a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2012

Bottom Line:
When I bought my Pioneer SX-838 (for $300 in 1976) it was the Tech Hifi demo for speakers, it was a year old. It was left on continuously for that period. They had to sell it, as the 1977 models were going to brushed aluminum face. This receiver was the staff favorite, and I soon learned why. This relatively small 50 WPC, OCL amp really kicks butt. It will drive almost any speaker on market at that time (Bose 901 being the notable exception). It's real worth is in it's warmth, detail, low distortion, low noise, large dynamic range, large selection of inputs and triple pair of speaker outputs. I spent about a year comparing performance specs and price, auditioning the likes of Yamaha, Onkio, Kenwood, Sansui, Marantz, McIntosh, Technics. The Pioneer sounded as good as the pricer units and much better and the similarly priced ones. It's been 36 years of listening pleasure. If you can find a good clean used one under $300, you can't go wrong. Even one the needs a little work is worth investing as most parts and service literature are still available and it is easy (for service professionals) to work on. I have upgraded my music systems serval times over in 35 years, but I could never part with this little gem.

Submitted by RocknRum a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is also for the SX-939. It was a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect it to sound as good as it does. A very warm and detailed sound. The best Pioneer I've heard so far. Comparable to any Marantz's I own. Doesn't seem to get hot like my SX-980. I could listen to it all day and not get tired. I paid 150$ for it and well worth the price. I don't know of any other receiver that you can get this cheap, that has that much power and sounds this good. This one is a keeper for me. Internally some controls are hard to access when using Deoxit or other contact cleaner.

Submitted by danfalk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
This review is for the pioneer SX 939. The sx 838s big brother. You can get these units real reasonable. At 75 wpc (100) at 4 ohms. They are one of the best sounding and powerfull for the money. Once you clean all the switches and controls it performs wonderfully. The tuner on mine is a little touchy. Have to zero it in real close to get signal. Works well just touchy. This is a perfect 10 on value. I had a sx 1010. It didnt sound as good, too boomy in the bass department and the s/n ratio not as good. It may have just been old and tired. I also have a sx 850. That is a slightly better sounding unit (Near Perfect).It would have to be the best 65 watt receiver I have ever heard. I also have a kenwood kr-6600. Its nice and sounds smooth. At 60 watts(Kenwwod) its good but the sx 939 is a step up and the sx-850 is a slight step up from the sx939. On ebay the sx939s are going cheeper than the sx850,950,1050 etc. all of which are wonerfull receivers but expensive. If your looking for best bang for your buck grab a sx-939. Otherwise might as well jump up to a sx-1250, Kenwood Kr9600 or a Marantz 2325.

Purchased At:   ebay winter 2005

Submitted by hankclever a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is for the SX-939, not the SX-838 but they are almost the same.The 939 is 75 wpc RMS and the 838 is 50. I bought it on Ebay a few years ago from a seller who had 0 feedback and advertised it as an old receiver. What I got was a near mint(no scratches at all!!) in the original box with all the paperwork SX-939 receiver. I hooked it up to a pair of CS-99 speakers and this thing sounds AMAZING!! I never intend on getting rid of it. It sounds better and plays 100% louder than any new stuff you can find at bestbuy. I recommend it for anybody that wants lots of power, good sound, and about $300.(Its gone up a lot in value lately)

Purchased At:   eBay