Pioneer SX-980
Description: 80 wpc beast from the 70's. Exellent sound.

Submitted by Keith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2014

Bottom Line:
I'm 59 years old and was heavy into steros while stationed overseas in the mid '70s. Gawd, what a great time for equipment and music, huh?!

I have my original SX-780 and C-77 speakers from the '70s. I started collecting Pioneer stereo components about two years ago and found my SX-980 at an estate sale last summer. I walked the entire sale and never noticed the reciever on a card table in the middle of the garage. As I was leaving my wife asked what I thought of the reciever in the garage. I turned around and there she was with a ray of light shining on her from heaven above (actually fron a spot light in the garage.) This reciever looked as if it was brand new, like, I'm back in the '70s man! I picked it up for $50.00 thinking that I had some work to do.
Nope, this unit is absolutly perfect!

The sound eminating from this component is perfect. I listen to it daily over my SX-780 and Kenwood system.

Yep, it was a God-send alright...nothing can beat vintage equiment, but thats my ears talking.

Submitted by roger sorenson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2012

Bottom Line:
I purchased my Pioneer SX980 used and reconditioned from a stereo component shop about 26 years ago in Chicago. Got it hope, hooked it up...and nothing. Back to the shop, where they installed the missing bridges for the preamp (yes, you can easily up the power on this bad boy). I now live in California and still have the same amp.
Several years ago, I lost a channel. A neighbor, who worked as a tech in a stereo store in town, offered to repair it for me at his shop during his lunch hour. A few weeks passed. Still not back. I asked him how it was coming and he returned it to me the next day. He sheepishly admitted he had taken it home and tested it there for awhile. His boss came in while he was repairing it and wanted to know if I wanted to sell it.
I just bought a pair of Klipsch Heresy loudspeakers at an estate sale. They pair perfectly with the Pioneer and made me appreciate all over again what a truly fine receiver it is.
The vintage stuff is still the best!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by theo11d a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2009

Bottom Line:
price paid $600.00, purchased from post exchange while stationed in Korea

bought this to replace a 1010 that was stolen from my barracks room.

have dragged it around the world for over 30 years (has taken quite a beating). I will periodically buy a new system, but usually within 3 months, the new box will be out in the garage, and the 980, back in the house.

Submitted by ronco willy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Bottom Line:
Price paid - $15 from Thrift Store.

Hands down, the best sounding amp I have heard. Makes my vintage Sansui speakers sparkle.

It is truly a work of art. Adjusted for inflation, would be $2000 new ($650 originally).

They don't make them like this any more because they CAN'T! The killer analog parts simply aren't available.

If you love pure analog gear, this was the zenith of analog technology. Only a few short years later, digital circuits became fashionable and gear like this vanished.

The 3 pound weight behind the tuning knob says it all. This was built to be the BEST and it IS.

Mine is mint. I replaced 3 light bulbs and blew out the dust with a compressor and it works perfectly.

Just do me a favor if you get one. KEEP IT STOCK! Don't go punking it out with LEDs like some jackass I saw on ebay. These are made for incandescent shine. If you find one, you are not just the owner, you become the caretaker for future generations.

Turn it up halfway without earplugs at your own risk!

Submitted by Robert Barry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
To clarify my earlier review: BOTH the 80s series and 50s series Pioneer receivers contain the irreplaceable FM circuitry chip. I stated in my prior review that it was only the 80s series but that is incorrect. The good news is that my technician said these chips are "bulletproof" because they are totally isolated from the rest of the circuitry of these receivers and that it would take a "bolt of lightning" hitting the receiver to damage the chips. He also said that long after I'm buried six feet under, my receiver will still be glowing brightly, so if you are interested in one of these great Pioneer receviers, don't hesitate to pick one up and have it properly serviced for decades of trouble-free pleasure!

Purchased At:   Vintage electronic s