NAD L40 CD
Description: A receiver chasis that includes a CD player and FM tuner

Submitted by russwollman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
The L40 is a pretty ingenious device, sweet proof that good things come in small packages. I bought 2 of them at this unbeatable price.

Purchased At:   NOW! Audio/Video

Submitted by gads a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
Needed a low cost good sounding system for a young beginner in my family, one that would guide him to correct listening in the future.
I did'nt have much time for separates hunting, so I put my trust in this NAD combo.
What a disapointment it was to find its poor cd sound: no resolution, no detail, no bass.
Uneven output power handling, an overall impression of a mini-system.
My advise for you considering this product: take out some more energy and find old, good sounding separates.

Purchased At:   nowhere

Submitted by a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
After reading the other reviews, I feel compelled to comment. I'm a serious audiophile, and have been for 20 years. My current primary system is:
Proceed PCD3 CD player (old, but great sounding)
Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 tube preamp
BEL 1001 MKII class A amp
Thiel 3.6 speakers
Everything connected by Transparent Music Ultra wire
(Original price of this system about $20,000)
I was looking for a small, good system for my teenage daughter to use now and be able to take to college, to cost not over $3,500. Also, the intention was to play in rooms about 15'x18' or smaller, and not at exceedingly high loudness levels. After a lot of research (ie. actually listening to many various combinations of components), I finally settled on the NAD L40, ProAc Tablette 2000 speakers, Wireworld Atlantis speaker wire, and Fanfare FM-2G antenna - total cost just under $2,000.
The NAD-based system doesn't have the level of midrange transparency or the pure sweetness of mid- and high treble that my primary system does, and there's very little bass below 50Hz. BUT - for $2,000 it gets about 65-70% of the way "There", and most importantly of all, it doesn't do anything wrong that makes listening for extended periods unpleasant. If one listens with Sennheiser HD600 headphones plugged into the phones jack of the NAD, it becomes immediately clear that any significant brashness in the treble or muddiness in the mids is a result of poor speakers or wires; its not the NAD. In fact, listening this way shows that even the ProAc Tablettes aren't bringing out all this little NAD can do. In my opinion:
1. The NAD is a great unit FOR THE PRICE, and
2. Some of the other reviewers need to try changing speakers and/or wires.

Purchased At:   Dallas Retailer

Submitted by Douglas Barker a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
The L-40 is part of my travel system as I medically contract nationally. Usually paired with Rogers LS3/5As and 24" stands in a smaller apartment setting I find this combination stunning for what it is. Imaging, decent detail and plainly musical.

This combination would embarrass many systems as the darker nature of the Rogers paired with some brightness of the NAD offset each other. This piece paired with more colored British speakers is great.

Purchased At:   Internet from CA

Submitted by captm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
My wife and I are pairing down our stuff to a simpler lifestyle after discovering back a few years ago that the volume knob does turn to the left.
Part of the paring includes the audio equipment. (See down below the gear we got rid of) I wanted a good system while she wanted something easy to use. The NAD filled the bill and had the reputation of quality to match. This was the easy part, the hard part was getting the speakers and after auditioning many, we decided on the Linn Tukans.
The NAD L40 is a very easy to use and powerful enough for casual use. Since we do not play metal, rap or coronary inducing grand organ music, this was enough for our jazz, vocal and occational salsa orchestra dance music.
As far as ability to play loud and cleanly, we have yet to tax the system, rarely gone past halfway on the volume dial. The system plays clean, effortlessly and with enough bass to satisfy us but not annoy the neighbors. There is something to be said for simplicity. I do not want to mess with knobs, dials, accessories and other assorted "audio geek" gear anymore. I just put in the CD, adjust the volume and relax to the music. The build quality of the unit is good with the buttons and volume knob giving a good solid feel. The cd tray feels a bit flimsy but since I'm not going to put a coffee cup on it, as long as it takes in the cd and plays it unerringly, so what. Ascetics being what they are, this is an invisible unit. It has no shiny dials, polished face plate or other colorful meters. It certainly does not subscribe to the "Industrial" look of present high end audiophile gear but then looks have nothing to do with peformance and that's where your money should go. I would not recommend this unit to hear the stomps of virtual jurassic critters but if your creatures are the voices of "Anonymous 4" singing in a medieval monastary or the "Scott Hamilton Quartet in concert in Toyko" or Tito Puente banging out some infectious hip shaking salsa, then by all means listen to this unit.
I recommend that you buy this reciever and then spend the rest of your time auditioning quality and efficient speakers suited to your taste. After all, this isn't a Zen experience...you want to get to your destination of music pleasure and not go through an equipment journey.

Purchased At:   Local audiophile sto