NAD 7240PE Receivers

The 7240PE receiver consists of the 3240PE integrated amplifier, with its vast reserves of clean, solid power for the the wide dynamic range of modern recordings, plus an exceptionally sensitive digital tuner. While the 7240PE is rated at 40 watts/channel of steady-state power, its +6 dB of IHF dynamic headroom means that its dynamic power for musical transients exceeds 160 watts/channel at 8 ohms and 200 watts/channel at 4 or 2 ohms.

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2013

Bottom Line:
I purchased one of these new around 1985 or so and happily used it driving a set of DCM TF 500 speakers for the next 14 years or so. The receiver sounds much more powerful than the 40 watt rating would lead you to believe I ended up replacing it with a Pioneer Elite 5.1 receiver when I decided to go with a 5.1 setup. It still worked fine and I gave it to a friend of mine.

Submitted by bob243 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
Basically I found it in a scrap heap at a shop I worked at in 97, I had recently moved to the area and needed something to listen too.. So I tore into it and found a couple shorted outputs and decided to replace all the outputs with matching parts.. About 30$ later I had a working reciever. For the last ten years I have played the heck out of it listening to everything from classical to death metal. Up until 3 years ago I played i through a cheap set of Yamaha 3way speakers that used to be on sale everywhere for $80/pair. Then I got a vintage set of Klipsch ChorusII speakers and really got to listen to this reciever. I am still amazed with it. Recently I went and started using only the preamp section with an external power amp (Hitachi SR2004) which is about to be replaced with a NAD2400.
As the rest of my collection is getting replaced this will be too, but I will definatly have it setup somewhere, this really sold me on NAD.

This is a great find for someone who wants a solid reciever and doesn't want to disturb the neighbors.

Purchased At:   found in the "abando

Submitted by Keld Hamselv a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
Bought this Rock solid piece of equipment back in 1987, needed an all-round receiver, and got just that. Sound is impeckable on the right speakers E.g. AR 762, Dali 8, Coral´s, etc. the PA DOES deliver great sound, although the Pre-Amp (and tuner)is a little slim in features and lack the ability to reproduce enough brightness.
AND yes - The Bass EQ Works as intended

Purchased At:   Audionord

Submitted by Phil Walters a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
Bought the 7240PE in 1989. It has given exceptional service with no problems (except a noisy volume pot that I have learned to live with).
The unit has the capability to drive some fairly difficult loads without complaint. I have used it with Snell E-III's for 12 years and am quite pleased with the sound I am getting.

Purchased At:   Behrens Audio Labs,

Submitted by Andrew a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've had the NAD 7240PE for 4 years. I was in high school then, and in college now. For a student who would like to expand his selection of products beyond the typical Sony or low grade Yamaha stuff at a Circuit City/Wiz/etc., this amp is recommended. And for $125 and 4 years of reliable service in basements and a dorm, it's economical but not a piece of crap.
I am not an audiophile, but I do have a bit of an ear and understand what presence is about. On a set of KLH 900B's, the receiver sounds great, esp. with an AMC 10" subwoofer added in (although the amp lacks a sub out). On a pair of Cerwin Vega E712's, the receiver doesn't seem to deliver enough bass and also acquires a tinny sound at high volumes. Perhaps it is a limitation of continuous power or a leaky cap, but on any floorstanding speakers that aren't incredibly efficient, I doubt my amp would mate well with the system. Also, if the amp is switched into A + B four speaker mode, there is no front to back fader.
Enough on the limitations...for a student or someone starting out, this amp is great. It is affordable and robust. It can be transported without much concern, and God forbid the thing is damaged, it isn't a serious blow on your wallet. It is simple to adjust and clean in appearance. And for those wanting to continue the 80's fad, this receiver can even fulfill that trivial desire. The amp is rated at a modest 40W per channel, although short bursts of +6dB dynamic headroom enable your speakers breathe a bit. My unit does not run overly hot, and a soft clipping feature decreases your chances of damaging your speakers, esp. bookshelf ones.

Purchased At:   From a family friend

NAD 7240PE and 4 old speakers..

Hi, I would like to know what you guys think of the above NAD unit (40W/channel) driving 2 original Advent speakers ('74) and 2 AR 18bx smaller speakers. Living room is average to smallish. What would be the minimum I could go? I would like to start picking up some used NAD stuff, kind of a chan ... Read More »

Wood Technology: