Marantz 2220 Receivers

4.65/5 (23 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

Submitted by Rx7man a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2016

Bottom Line:
I have a bunch of Marantz receivers and amps.. a 2275, a 1060, and a 2220B... Every one of them sound great, without a doubt, but the 2220 is definitely at a disadvantage when you need some brute power to get a big room loud and still have if feel full. If you've got neighbors and thin walls, you WILL get noise complaints.. For what I bought it for (My parent's living room) it does what is asked of it perfectly.

Do not compare the 20watts of a 2220 to 100 watt logitech computer speakers, they aren't even in the same galaxy, subwoofers or not, either in power output or sound quality. Some audiophiles detest the sound of MP3's or CD's, and yes, I can hear the difference between those and good vinyl, but I would rather listen to an MP3 through a Marantz than vinyl through most anything else.. My Yamaha rx360, Technics, Fisher and others I have all fail miserably in comparison.

As with all Marantz amps I have, every one of them has a warm sound, and unlike any other amp where I turn UP the bass, On the Marantz I turn OFF loudness, and turn down the bass... Even the lower power units have the oomph to drive larger woofers, even if it's not the perfect match, they'll do it without complaint.

Submitted by stereoguy11 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2013

Bottom Line:
Hello, this is already the 4th vintage Marantz review I've written in the last month. Why? Because I love vintage Marantz's! (not to mention I have 4 of them) This is basically my 1st vintage Marantz receiver. I had a 2220b model that my mom gave me back in 1995 (her stepdad bought it from a garage sale back in the early eighties for $15!), but by 2007, with the selector knob busted off and the faceplate gone, I figured it was time to part with it and move on. I gave it to a friend (a fellow stereo enthusiast), and the rest is history. The following year I purchased this unit (the 2220) at a local music resale shop for $100. I figured I couldn't go wrong, since it was basically the same thing I had and I knew how good it sounded. Because it needed professional internal cleaning, I was not entirely happy with it for the first couple of years I owned it (there were serious issues with the selector knob). I sold it to my room mate who had it professionally cleaned and then sold it back to me. Although he loved the sound quality, it just wasn't powerful enough for him. Anyways, I'm very glad to have it back and I doubt I will ever part with it again. They just don't make 'em like this anymore! Let me illustrate my point: The marantz 2220 is now linked to my H/K AVR 7000 (circa 2000, rated at 110 wpc RMS in stereo mode), while the marantz (circa 1974) is conservatively rated at 20 wpc RMS. Each receiver powers a pair of high-end bookshelf speakers (the H/K powering a pair of vintage Bose speakers and the marantz powering a pair of current model Klipsch speakers (Synergy B-20s). All 4 speakers are rated at 75 watt max input power through 8 ohms. Although the H/K will crank much louder than the marantz, THE MARANTZ STILL HOLDS ITS OWN WHEN STACKED UP AGAINST THE MIGHTY HARMAN!!! While the extreme loudness may not be there with the marantz 2220, the flawless sound quality and sheer speaker kicking ability is. When paired with the big Harman, the two receivers make absolutely beautiful music together. So I leave you with this: If you have one of these fine vintage receivers, even if it is a lower end model such as the 2220, hang onto it, because it will likely outperform anything you can buy today at any one of the major department stores. And if you absolutely must sell it, don't settle for cheap!

Submitted by Pilgrim a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2011

Bottom Line:
totALLY THE BEST

Submitted by Aaron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
By far one of the best sounding and best looking receivers ever, I have a pair of some old realistic speakers and just by saying im using realistic stuff some would say i'm crazy but these are some kind of special edition and really sound great and then i have a pair of beautiful polk audio sda-2 i think, and this set up packs a punch

Submitted by mr. man a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2005

Bottom Line:
i have loved listening to music for as long as i can remember. i think it started when i first heard thunder and rain in a song on a family friends high-end stereo. anyway i started my own quest for great sound in college with a polk/techniques set-up for my dorm room with pretty good results. that was all stolen a few years ago but turned out to be a blessing in diguise. I started looking for a replacement system after a few years of only an alarm clock radio to listen to. i fell in love with a pair of alon lil rascals. better than i have ever heard in a bookshelf for under a 1000 dollars. well i was using a free kenwood reciever to power them and the sounded so good, but i knew i wanted something much better. i trolled the forums and read reviews and desided instead of spending a thousand plus on a new reciever, i would look for a vintage marantz. i found one, made sure it worked and took it home. some people say the you need a sub woofer if you have bookshelves to get rich bass. whatever. first song i played there it was, deep and rich and so clean. sparkleing highs, perfect mids, and clean, clean lows. some say as well that there is no difference between any given reciever. again, whatever. it was clear as day. my alons were great with the 1990's kenwood, but now they sing! it's beautiful. i'm done searching for the next peice of equipment. why spend that much when for under 600 total i have such clean, perfect sound?

anyway, thats my two cents. if you are looking for great sound and beautiful looks you can't go wrong with a marantz. if you have descent speakers they will sound better, if you have great speakers they with positivily sing. no bones about it.

Purchased At:   seattle