VTL TL5.5 Preamplifiers

preamplifier

Submitted by Jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
Well there has not been a review on this peice in a while so here it is. I auditioned the 2.5 first and was thoroughly impressed with the sound, but the bass left a little to be disired. This concerned me so I called VTL and spoke with Luke (the owner) and he suggested I give the 5.5 a listen and promised I would notice a difference, particularly with the bass. Now let me say, I called this company more than once to sort of interview them, I spoke with both Bea and Luke, they were more than willing to take the time to explain things in laymens terms and answer any questions I had. This was a huge selling point to me. I felt if I were going to spend this much on one of their products I would have to believe in the company as well as like the product itself, and believe I do. The 5.5 lived up to what Luke had said it would do for me, the bass was unbelievable for a tube product, it SLAMMED with authority and left nothing to be desired in comparison with my SS stuff. In fact, I think it may be more accurate and even sound better than my SS equipment. The 5.5 pre matched really well with my Krell amp and honestly made my Nautilus 804's sound like a different speaker, I never knew they could be so revealing. I only wish I had done this sooner since I have been underutilizing their potential. The mids with the 5.5 were silky smooth, the highs were absolutely terrific and non-fatiguing, and the bass, oh the bass. I would highly recommend VTL products for the build quality the commitment to service and quality from the company, and the most importantly the sound of their products. It is simply wonderful 'Pure Audio' sound, and this is the BEST pre I have ever heard in it's price range.

Purchased At:   Natural Sound

Submitted by Carlos Pires a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased this preamplifier to partner with a bryston 4B ST. Prior to use the VTL I used a Bryston BP25 as well as a Lexicon DC2. I was considering to exchange my Requests with B&W 802 Nautilus because I was not impressed with the sound. When I listened the VTL 5.5 I was amazed at the soundstage it created as well as the musicality that I had not been able to listen before. I am very happy with this preamplifier and I give it 5 stars. My next upgrade will be to add 2 VTL 450 monoblocks.
Equipment used:
Cable is all Transparent

Purchased At:   Audio Consultants

Submitted by Nimbus Storm a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
Best base I have ever heard from a tube product. Highs to die for. Silky smooth and sweet without losing enter details.

Ships with Russian tubes of good quality. 2 12AX7WA and 4 12AT7 which sound better then any of the NOS I have.

For tonal correctness I used the following:

Piano:

Yamaha C7 Grand: This is how a Yamaha is supposed to sound. Its brightness is clearly portrayed. CD Alan Hovhaness "Shalimar" on Fortuna Records 17062-2

Steinway 9 foot Grand: The sweetness and mellow tone of the Steinway is quite clear. CD George Winston "Summer" on Windham Hill Records 01934 11107-2

Bosendorfer Imperial Concert Grand: The deep and powerful sound of Bosendorfer at its best "Malcolm Frager plays Chopin" Malcolm Frager CD Telarc cd-80040

For base extension I used:

KODO Heartbeat Drummers of Japan CD Sheffield lab cd-kodo This Preamp has a death grip on base; way, way deep and clear.. Love it!

For background ambient sound within the music I used:

The entro to "White Winds" and "Caveran Magica" by Andreas Vollenweider CD CBS label MK37827 & MK39963. You have to hear this for yourself to believe it. Mind blowing sense of space and liquidity.

I love Classical Guitar:

"Classical BouQuet" by Stevan Pasero Sugo Records CD SR9005. I have never heard this played better except in real life.

Purchased At:   Audio Concepts

Amp to match with VTL TL5.5 Preamp

Can anyone suggest a couple amps to match with the VTL TL5.5 preamp? I am finding my current setup rather dry and flat. I enjoy listening to very open and warm sounding systems. Thanks. :) Audio Alchemy Ultra DAC Denon DVD5900 VTL TL 5.5 Preamp Krell KAV 150a B&W Nautilus 805 Bettercable ... Read More »

Sennheiser: