VTL TL2.5 Preamplifiers

4.53/5 (17 Reviews) MSRP : $2045.00

Line Stage Vacuum Tube Preamplifier

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2014

Bottom Line:
Hi,

I tried the VTL TL2.5 whilst my Audio Research LS1 was being re-capped. I use a B&K ST125.2 power amp and the 20dB gain for the TL2.5 is a bit too big for the power amp either that or the output sensitivity is too big?

The amp is very quiet in operation and very nice to listen to, but when I dial in some volume greater than about the 9 'O' clock position (starts at 7) then I found the bass to be over driven. Maybe it’s the mis-match with my power amp that causes this, but otherwise all good.

With the bass slam, it is hard to believe that it is a valve amp.

I found the Volume control knob to be strange in that the milled angle on one half of the front face does not align to anything in particular and the remote control does not provide a good control over the volume position - it was always either over or under what I wanted

Submitted by Jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
All I can say about this piece is WOWEEE! I never thought of myself as a tube equipment type, up to this point I had only experience with SS equipment. I currently run a pair of B&W 804s on a Krell 250 amp and a Rotel processor. Since adding a Richard Gray 600S the Rotel began to sound a little edgy at times, so I auditioned this tube preamp after being told this could help remedy the problem. And remedy it did! It definately rounded out the sound and brought a nice front to back dimension to most performances. Does not quite have the in your face bass slam that 100% SS will offer, but it creeps around and hits with a pleasing authority nonetheless. As this thing warmed up, the element of sounds that really surprised me was the voices, mids, and high tones, it was like having a new set of speakers in my room. I only wish I had added this sooner than I did.

Purchased At:   Retailer

Submitted by David Rowe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
For the money, this is a great preamp in the right system (this is important). The build quality is exemplary. The optional silver face plate is much more attractive than the black one. Although there's no getting around the rather ugly big black knobs for volume and source selection.
A great feature is the home theater pass through, which works perfectly.
I ultimately was disappointed with this preamp, however. On the plus side, it is very clean, dynamic, with pretty decent bass for a tube preamp in this price range. However, I found overall the preamp tended to sound a little too forward and a touch bright/glarey in the upper range. It has a lovely tonality in the upper mids down, but certainly no extra warmth in the lower mids that you'd expect from a tube piece.
So, ultimately a somewhat robust, forward, very clean and a touch bright, gleaming sound, and a touch weak in the bass department dictates that very careful system matching needs to be observed with this unit. Don't expect this unit to warm up your system for you, it won't. However, it remains clean and robust. It's certainly not laid back! And the build quality is excellent, right down to the RCA connectors on the back. Oh, also, I really missed some kind of display for volume. You don't get any kind of display with this unit.
I did like it better than it's more expensive brother, the 5.5. While the 5.5 was even more dynamic and improved in the bass, it wasn't as sweet in the upper mids (violins are quite lovely with the 2.5).
I must also add that the output tubes in both channels went bad in the first six months (I bought it new). But VTL replaced them no question, and Denver Audio Designs provided the best service imaginable.

Purchased At:   Denver Audio Designs

Submitted by nina a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
thisis a superb player I couldnt belive how great thi prem souded.the soundstage was huge wide and deep.the images were very dimensional.the bass was extended firm and deep.a sublimely smooth but uncolored midrange provides the basis for musical experiences you wish never end.equally impressive are the rock solid imaging and deep soundstage tha provide uparalleled musical presens. bottom line this pre-amp is OUTSTANDING.

this is a superb player.i couldnt believe

Submitted by WK a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a very good pre-amp in my opinion, like Sonic Frontiers and Audio Research, it's not necessarily very "tubey" sounding. It give u the transparency, liquidity and 3-D imaging of tubes but managed to maintain high level of resolution and clarity.

Try avoid partnering with lean sounding cables and equipments. If u have no choice, perhaps u may wish to roll the tubes.

Premier Mounts: