Van Alstine FET Valve EC Preamplifiers

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by CE a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
ULTRA Hybrid EC with Phono and remote options. Incredible, absolutly great!! Silent, musical, smooth, it's gotta be teh best pre amp I ever didn't hear. Flawless operatioanl devices. Makes the 4 VanAlstine OmegaStar EX in Hafler P500/DH500 chassis do THEIR magic into a pair of Legacy WHISPERS. VanAlstine electronics is teh ONLY way to make your speakers come to life. IThe Ultra Hybrid EC drives 2 Ultra Hybrid phse inverters which in turn drive teh 4 VanAlstine OmegaStar EX amps. 4 MONO in Hafler P500/DH500 chassis, about 4,200 watts, there is no substitute for WATTS. VanAlstine WATTS. It's ALIVE, DYNAMIC, REAL!!!!

Purchased At:   www.avahifi.com

Submitted by qtsuperbee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2006

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Omegstar solid-state pre-amp. This pre-amp sounded very sterile and uninvolving. I sent it back after one week. I had an old Van Alstine Model One that sounded better. Needless to say I kept my Fisher Coronet tube pre-amp and shipped the Omegastar back. Waited nine weeks for the Van alstine and was completely dissapointed.

Purchased At:   van alstine

Submitted by kbeach a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have been blessed with very sensitive hearing and I have listened to (and in some cases, purchased) high-end equipment that hurts my ears as badly as the discount store stuff does. After a long and very expensive quest for "the right sound", I purchased a used, Dynaco-based AVA Omega II pre-amp and Omega II 400 power amp from Frank Van Alstine...almost in desparation...after he debunked some of my high-end misconceptions. For the first time in my life, the technology simply disappeared and I was left with only beautiful music. You either understand the significance of this sentence or you do not. Others in my family agreed. Since that time, I've listened to newer AVA equipment and it has improved...but my Omega II stuff is still so unbelievably good that I feel no need to upgrade. Fortunately, the Omega II equipment has been engineered and built for eternity. Also, since buying my Omega II equipment, I have felt no further interest in going into high-end audio stores where less competent equipment (to my ears, anyway) is sold at higher prices. After all, from a sonic perspective, my Omega II equipment "does not exist". Why would I want to again insert something artificial between myself and the art I cherish?

Purchased At:   Audio by Van Alstine

Submitted by Mark Anderson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
My comments are not a review of a specific piece of equipment, but rather a comment on a commitment to excellence that is rarely seen. I have owned Frank Van Alstine's equipment for over twenty years, and recently sent a friend to Frank. I had an opportunity to listen to some of Mr. Van Alstine's Newest gear and in my experience, it is still the best equipment for the cost, I challenge anyone to find a better value anywhere. I am happy to know someone who hasn't grown complacent. Thanks Frank.

Submitted by RAR a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 22, 1999

Bottom Line:
I certainly owe Mr.Frank Van Alstine an acknowledgement on the fet/valve tube preamplifier. This design that uses mosfets for the current amplifiers and 12AX7 triode tubes for the voltage does an absolute wonderful job on full musical content. I am glad now, I didn't hastily sell it and replace with a primary tube or solid state design preamp, I have tried several top named products, that I sold as dealer and was embarressed for these products. This preamp is full functioned, all the inputs you would ever need, tone controls that do NOT color the sound, phono input, tape buffers, excellent build quality and good advice from Frank, when so many others want you to waste your money and buy foolishly.This preamp is neutral in sound, excellent dynamic presentation, just enough warmth with NO fet sound at all. You will stop focusing on the hardware and enjoying the music. Contact avahifi.com and buy one today!!!
I give this preamp a full five stars for musical integrity and another for just plain musical fun and enjoyment. Highly Recommended!!!!!

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile