Sunfire Reference
Description: <ul> <li>High-pass (-3dB at 80Hz) line-level stereo outputs</li> <li>Includes line stage with 17.7dB total gain</li> <li>Switchable Source Direct bypass</li> <li>Treble and bass controls</li> <li>Motorized volume control</li> </ul>

Submitted by pocketchange a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2005

Bottom Line:
For the money, I'm more than pleased with the Reference.
My system is all tubes and my budget allowed for the $500 Wally needed for this pre.
The Reference has all of the requirements and none of the space demands that a headphone and phono amp needed since this all comes with the Reference. The remote is full function and does a excellent job of allowing me control from across the room. The base and treble features allow for playback
preferences and well recorded material can be played direct, bypassing the tone controls. The Phono section is excellent.

Purchased At:   Underwood HI FI

Submitted by 7.62Matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
Bob Carver, love or hate his products, and this one is to love. I found this on on Ebay, cheap, and decided to give it a try.
First, it looks great! Black brushed aluminum, big, heafty, masculine.
I have used the CD and phono stage, and both are smooth.
No outside coloration, noise, simple, but effective.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by htguy1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have put several hours of us on my new Symphonic Reference Preamp and so far I am very, very impressed! The sound is neutral to warm and very, very detailed. It has not shown any hint of harshness even at the upper end of usable volume. The destinction between instruments, vocals and backup vocals is amazing. They no longer just all run together, you can actually place them in the nicley layered sound field. The highs are smooth and detailed and the bass is nice and tight. I found it to have better detail than my AVM30 in analog direct mode and was still much sweeter and smoother sounding than the AVM30! (That blows my mind because usually sweet, smooth sound sacrifices detail, but not with this unit!) Needless to say, I am very, very pleased. It is as non-fatiguing and smooth as the $4500 McIntosh tube preamp I heard recently but with much better detail. Don't get me wrong, the McIntosh was amazing, but this unit just strikes a better balance of smoothness and detail.

Purchased At:   audiogon.com

Submitted by Joe David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
- Great construction quality

- Very open sound, transparent but not bright.
- Liquid, lush tube like quality with the plus of very tight, solid bass.
- Great phono stage
- Ultra high quality aluminum remote
- High quality Alps pots, Torodial transformer big enough for a power amp
- Very quiet electronics

Purchased At:   Ultimate

Submitted by tomh a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased the Sunfire Symphonic Reference Preamp at Ultimate Audio. I have been comparing this preamp to a Conrad Johnson tube preamp feeding an Adcom 5802 through a pair of Martin Logans. That said, here we go. This preamp is very tube like sonically. The highs are very sweet and open. The entire sound stage is big, broad and deep. The midrange, especially vocals is extremely neutral and open. I am really shocked at how good this thing sounds. The biggest surprise is the yes "very neutral" phono stage. I listened to the moving magnet setting (it also accomodates moving coils). Sound stage is wide and deep and the lack of coloration is wonderful. This preamp is just unbeatable for the money. I've always favored tube preamps. Bob Carver somehow has captured the open sound of tubes without the coloration. Great job.

Purchased At:   Ultimate