Spectral DMC-10 Preamplifiers

4.67/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $1595.00

Full function preamplifier with phono stage

Submitted by Peter lai a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
this preamp simply the best value for money .
I'm a tubes lover but when I have the chance to get my hand on this preamp I was feel in love with it . it was the best SS preamp I have heard so far. it sounded better than most tubes preamp I have heard , specially it phono section just perfect in every ways as well as the built quality.
the line stage also very good if don't want to say it is best.
I really love it.

Submitted by Sim, Jake a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
Spectral DMC-10 Delta has only two inputs, Phono and Aux. Very simple like old Mark Levinson ML-6. If analog is your main source, go for it. The phono section of DMC-10 Delta is the best of the best among the phono sections in full function preamps ever tried, Gryphon XT-MC, Mark Levinson 26, Audio Research SP-11, 15, Classe DR6, Marantz 7 reissue, AI M3A, Krell KSP-7B, Pam-3, Linn Kairn... Adjustable output gain and line level gain also gives you flexibility.After buying DMC-10 Delta, I have sold my CAT SL-1 Sig. FABULOUS!!!!

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Steve Brownstein a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
This preamp was designed in the last heyday of analogue (late 1980's).It's main input is still "phono", while CD players must be plugged into the "aux" input. The phono stage is pretty spectacular. I am basically a tube lover, and was simply curious about a solid state preamp's sound on phono.
My rationale was that since most of the really highly rated phono stages use at least one initial FET gain stage, and since for driving an interconnect to a power amp, solid state has inherently lower output impedance, what could be the harm of going completely solid state all the way through in the preamp. Well, this phono stage wipes out every tube phono stage I've tried in areas of detail and finesse, and has a delicately detailed high end to boot! For example, on good vinyl sources, I hear quite a bit more detail on electric guitar and cymbals, as well as a much better defined bass and lower midrange. The line stage seems a little "flat" compared to more current line stages, however. I believe that in this unit, the line stage simply constituted the final gain stage of the circuit, and was optimized around getting the best sound out of the phono circuit that preceeds it.

BLG CP024: