Sound Valves VTP-101i Preamplifiers

6 line inputs, phono, 2 line out, 2 tape out

Submitted by joespride02 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2005

Bottom Line:
well this is my first review i bought this my first piece of tube gear ever and can only say WOW, this thing really puts out the sound , puts my ss pre-amp to shame, the sound is overall much cleaner and the volume is amazeing, i see a couple bad reviews but i dont know why this is one nice piece of gear, im sure there are better pres out there but if you are on a budget and want a nice tube pre to compliment your solid state amps this is a definate canidate

Submitted by chien_shih a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have tried several preamp with both my custom made power amp, (Clasee 300 and a custom RCA 829B tube amp), I must say this preamp is the best value for the money, I have tried it against a $3000 sold state preamp, I find VTP-101i is infinite more musical, does not have the brittle high plagued with most of the solid state. I actually remove VTP 101-i from my system and move in the solid state, I have to move it back eventually because I find it to be much better in terms of sound stage and presence, I just can not bear to listen to this $3000 solid state preamp )I wouldnt name names here).

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Submitted by Carolyn Boyles a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
An excellent entry level piece of equipment for the tube audiophile. A bargain in my opinion.

Submitted by J. Watson a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
If you are looking to get into tubes, Sound Valves is the place to start. I've read some of the other reviews below and it looks like some people have had some trouble with their Sound Valves gear, but I am not one of them. I bought my unit new from Sound Valves after losing out on one on Ebay. I got mine for $550.00 when they sell new for around $800.00. Once I changed out the power cord and put the tubes of my choice in the unit, this pre just sings. Is this pre the end-all solution to pre amps? No. Is it the greatest preamp ever? No. But is it a solid tube gear that produces quality sound? Yes. Sound Valves is the brain-child and extension of former Dyna-kit gear and Hafler designer Harry Klaus and yes, this gear does reflect his previous work. I am imagine that is those who wrote negative reviews below would have returned their units and pointed out what they saw as problem points, that the good people at Sound Valves would have made good on whatever needed to be done. I've had nothing but good experiences with them and simply can't recommend them enough. A great place to start if you are wanting to get into tube audio.

Submitted by Henry a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have used this preamp for four years now and am constantly impressed with its clarity and depth of sound stage. Music comes out of this thing like it should smooth and real with life and verve.

I have tried it with an assortmant of amps and speakers and it continues to perform flawlessly. This is a great sounding unit with lots of features and excellent build quality.

I have used a lot of equipment over the past years but this is one that always delivers.

SFLAT: