Rogue Audio Ninety-Nine
MSRP  1995.00
Description: <li>All tube mu-follower circuit topology <li>Metal remote volume control <li>Mono, mute, and record functions <li>Separate power supply chassis <li>(4) 6SN7 tube complement line stage <li>Ultra heavy-duty gold RCA inputs <li>Optional mm/mc phono board <li>Toroidal high voltage supply <li>Headphone jack <li>MSRP $1,995 line stage/ $2,395 with phono board

Submitted by GG a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2010

Bottom Line:
Ok I have used much more expensive and elaborate equipment but decided to lower my stereo investment. Times are tough. To compare this against much more expensive CJ stuff makes no real sense. It would be astounding if this Rogue won out,but it more then holds it's own. I am very happily surprised at how good it sounds especially with a set of NOS Tung-sol tubes in it. The sound is clear spacious detailed and musical. Did my previous $9,000 pre amp beat it, of course, but by so little in terms of musical listening enjoyment that it really makes one think about blowing a car downpayment on the big hitters. Add to that, "Made in America" and Rouge is a real great buy.

Submitted by Taxman34 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
Bought 99 Magnun preamp after so many great reviews, and felt like a little kid in that candy store...I couldnt wait for it to arrive and hook it up.

It came to my door on a thursday, and it was the same day that I had to go with the wife to her sisters surprise birthday party. You all know where Im going with this....Yes I didnt go with my wife, and boy was she mad. On to the review.

I have only owned solid state preamps, and never introduced tubes into my system. With the Magnum 99 in place the soundstage was expansive with a powerful lowend and it sounded great. A few months of heavy listening went by and I felt the honeymoon was over....the 99 didnt have that same charm. A good freind of mine has a very nice tube system and I asked him to bring over his Conrad Johnson tube preamp (older model)to compare the two.

After 5 hours of some serious listening, we both agreed that the winner was not the Rogue. Im really let down now....what was i thinking asking him over. His preamp was not designed with the 6sn7 as the Rogue, but wow did his 6922? based preamp blow it away. I might mention that the 99 was being auditioned with nos tubes from Mark Obrein.

I thought I would sell this line stage for a decent price and buy something else; but I was taken back by what they were going for used, and most of what I saw were fairly newer preamps like mine a year old, going for a drastic discount. New or newer preamps selling so much cheaper....maybe I should have done some more research on this product. Wow did this depreciate.

I was able to buy a used AI M3 with the sale of the Rogue. I asked the same freind over again with his preamp, and we both agreed with the winner, this time it was not the CJ.

Purchased At:   rogue

Submitted by holmesmd a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is my first review of any kind. My feeling is that I, too must respond to kek.
This is one of two tube preamps that I own, and it is used the most. The reason is that is sounds real. My other Preamp is a highly regarded vintage AR that was wrested from a friend who has been in the business for years and has a much better ear than I, and it wasn't easy talking him out of the AR.
I have to say that between the AR and the Rogue, the AR has slightly more transparent and extended upper mid and high end, but the Bass is much tighter on the Rogue.
Some people have told me that the AR was one of the best tube Preamps ever made, and to hear the Rogue compare that well to the AR puts it in good company.
In any case the review that mentioned that this piece is "dry" in my opinion couldn't be based on listening to the same equipment.
For the money, I have never heard a preamp that touches this one expecially in the "liquid" realism department.
So...if you're going to do anything, try a Rogue before you spend more.
I would also recommend pairing it up with a Digital Amp. I have experienced the same disappointment when giving up my Digital Amp paired with the Rogue when I was forced to switch back to a well known SS amp..it was like going from color to Black and White.
The Rogue 99 is the real deal. If someone has a better idea, let me know..I'm still looking.

Purchased At:   Decibel Audio Chicag

Submitted by Yarvis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is my first foray with a tube based product. I was able to hear this tube preamp and the same SS amp that I currently own at a very high end store in Manhattan. When I first walked in, the salesman talked with me a little bit and asked me what type of music I listened to. He was very patient and took his time and told me that he had sold this same exact setup to many, many people who were going to spend THOUSANDS more. Each and every person walked out of the store with the Rogue 99 and a Musical Fidelity A308cr. After I listened for a little while I could see why. I was going from an MF A3.2 integrated so I was expecting only good things, I was very happy and surprised to hear only good things. Instruments and voices sound very, very lifelike. Dynamics and soundstaging are both wide and deep. I simply cannot get over how smooth and CLEAR things sound. I am VERY happy with this setup. I really don't forsee any upgrades for a LONG time. Good thing also, the wife is ready to hang me.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Audio Connection, NJ

Submitted by Enatali a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
I decided to write this review after switching back to a highly acclaimed SS preamp in place of the Rogue Audio 99. I experienced a great loss. The magic of the 99 disappeared. The sweetness of the vocals vanished. It was not a subtle change, but a dramatic loss of realism.

I switched back to the 99 and the magic returned. Frank Sinatra returned to perform for us in person again. My spouse who is satisfied with mid-fi equipment also noticed the dramatic improvement. We are both sold on the merits of the 99.

The 99 simple produces beautiful music. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Internet