Perreaux SM-6
Description: High Performance Dual Mono Preamplifier

Submitted by pig00_ca a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am a newbie and begin to appreciate more music than ever before. I picked up the Perreaux SM6P because research showed it was a very good preamp. Once I hooked it up after I got it from AA, it beat my other Parasound PHP/850 by great margin. It is not a fair comparsion because of their price different. The timing is better, fantastic detail and bass is awesome. I could hear better music for sure.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by elmura a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
A high-end preamp. Not in the same league as much more expensive units from other companies but nonetheless an excellent product. Warm and clean sounding. A step up from Marantz, Rotel & Denon preamps. Built tough.

Submitted by Richard Prestwich a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
I use this preamplifier in conjuction with Perreaux's 350 stereo power amplifier. Based soley on it's own merits, I have to rate this Perreaux SM6 preamplifier as a very good value overall. This unit is built like a battleship and sounds as smooth as velvet. There is an "ease of listening" quality that just lets the music flow (more like envelope you) without ever calling attention to itself. It just moves out of the way. The SM6 has a very open sound stage and provides an extremely natural presentation of the soundscape. (I listen 3-D, not front to back and side to side and I don't believe in listening in only the "sweet spot".) You never get the feeling that this is solid state sound or the traditional euphonic sound that most tube units seem to "gush" with. I had previously used a top flight Parasound preamplifier that I thought gave me all of the music I could perceive, but this Perreaux SM6 gives you so much more and it is so smooooooth, not laid back or unexciting, more like when first lying in the middle of cool mountain stream on a hot summer day with the cool water just washing over you...inviting, relaxing, ...you just don't want to get up and leave. Quite seductive and naturally expressive. No listening fatigue. I use this preamp in conjuction with the Perreaux 350 Stereo Power Amplifier along with the Monitor Audio Premium Gold Series Tower 4 monitors that are extremely fast and coherent and which used to be a bit weak in the lower bass before the 350 got ahold of them. These amps seem utterly limitless in their ability to produce ultimate power. They will let you know with total clarity why New Zealand is nuke-free with their ability to swing huge amounts of power as fast and effortlessly as a white-hot knife would slice through warm butter. Jokingly, I wonder if you could power a small city with this amp and it is just as easy to listen to as the SM6. An utterly effortless quality to the sound. This combination of components can transport you to Nirvana or scare the hell out of you with its ability to express ultimate power and all seemingly in the same "breath". My speakers are far more listenable than they have ever been with this combination of components. The only caveat is that I now realize just how crappy my cd player sounds. Another excuse to upgrage...I love it!

Submitted by Armeen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
My equipment:

CEC-TL5100 Transport
MSB Gold Link DAC 24bit/96khz
Kimber Kable AGDL & Silver Streak Interconnects
B&K MC101 Preamp
2 B&K EX442 Amp (bi-amping)
Vandersteen Model 3A Speakers
Luminous Technology Speaker Wires
Panamax 1000 power conditioner

I RATED THE VALUE HIGH BECAUSE I GOT THIS PREAMP FROM AUDIOADVISOR.COM FOR $800 INSTEAD OF THE $2,595 LIST. IT'S GOING BACK TO AUDIOADVISOR FOR A FULL REFUND TOMORROW!

Submitted by Daniel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
Can't say that I have owned that many high-end pre-amps. Before I bought the Perreaux SM6P I auditioned some other similar priced pre-amps. A slightly cheaper Swedish balanced preamp that sounded clearly worse than the other two, grainy and not that accurate.

The Gryphoon Tabu pre sounded about as good overall as the Perreaux and I would have been happy with any of the two. The Gryphoon sounded a bit more forward with my Plinius SA100mk2 and produced slightly more background noise than the Perreaux. It was also a tinny bit to wide to fit in my hifi furniture.

In the end I managed to get a slightly better deal on the Perreaux unit and I'm very happy with it. The unit it self is very well built, weights about 11kg, and doesn't produce any unwanted noise. In fact it's extremely quit and operates like a dream. The digital controlled resistor ladder makes it easy to adjust the volume to your liking and the mute button really comes in handy some times. I would suggest optimizing speaker placements before using any balance control tough. In short I would describe the sound as clean with good extension at the frequency extremes. It's slightly on the warm side of neutral but not by much.

I would definitely recommend an audition.