Parasound PLD 2000 Preamplifiers

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)

1 balanced, 6 unbalanced inputs

Submitted by Lesnik a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've had this preamp about 10 years.I'm using it with Parasound HCA 2200 MkII power. Through the years I've compared it to many others including 4 times higher in price. This preamp is really good! If you can try it-give it try.Difference between balanced and single ended is VERY audible

Submitted by jbangelfish a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've had this preamp for about 5 months and continue to be very pleased with it's performance. As others have mentioned, it is Class A rated and John Curl designed. He must be good. It does everything that I want it to do and even with no tone controls, does not seem to miss anything. You don't know that it's there and I think that's what we're looking for. At ten years old it seems to work just as well as new, remote and all. I doubt that I could have done better for $375.

Submitted by Colin Ezrow a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 22, 1998

Bottom Line:
I have had the PLD-2000 in my system for about a year now and it still continues to impress me. Like the other reveiwers here, I purchased mine for $750 from my local Parasound dealer. This preamp is a Class A, dual mono design with balanced and single ended inputs and outputs and is well built with high quality internal parts. I use the RCA connections and get great sound from them, and I've not been able to demo balanced gear at home so I can't comment on those connections. Speaking of the sound, it is clean and detailed with a wide and deep soundstage. The individual images presented have their own "space" and do not move about the stage, unless the recording moves them. The PLD-200 has an accurate tonal balance and neutral, if somewhat laidback presentation, which is a benefit when CD is the main source, as in my system. This quality mates well with the rest of my system and gives me most of what the high quality presentation of recorded music is all about. I have to agree with Mr. DeVito from the earlier review that the direct input/output has a distict edge in sound quality over the others, but the normal inputs sound as good as any of the other $1500 preamps I've heard(I'll not name brands, listen for yourself). This preamp is a great value at its original price and a steal at its' closeout price. Parasound once again deserves thanks for providing high quality, excellent sounding products at reasonable prices. I would have given the PLD-2000 five stars when it was $1500, but at $750 it is a sure thing. If you get a chance to hear one before they're gone, do it and you will hear a fine preamp at an extraordinary price.

Submitted by Jonathan De Vito a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1998

Bottom Line:
I have owned the Parasound PL/D-2000 pre-amplifier for more than 9
months now. I haven't tried everything yet, but my opinion of it is
it's somewhat like a Lambhorgini race car. Very fast, but not good for
getting the groceries. Let me explain. I think the looks are stunning
in that it looks like a pre-amp, feels like a pre-amp, works like a
pre-amp -- great. Any quibbles? I would like an equally stunning
looking remote, but that's it. If it is so good why did Parasound
discontinue it. Well, it has one flaw, it uses a Direct Input
technology. What's that? One input is privileged like all get-out, it
can be single-ended or balanced with a flick of a switch, just as the
output can. All other inputs are ordinary and sound ordinary, too.
And that is the rub.

It was reviewed in Fi magazine and compared to $8000.00 tube pre-amps
and it did not fare too badly either. I can't use the balanced
topology, so I am not getting the most out of it, like not using
premium gas for a race car. I recently moved it out of my main system
to my office system sans speakers. Using headphones, its transparency
is so apparent, and unlike a tube pre-amp, the bass is transparent,
too. I hook it up to the top-notch Audiolab 8000T tuner and I can't
keep myself from playing the air piano along with the music. Switch to
the other inputs, good tonal balance, non-fatiguing, but no magic and
rather flat. What gives? I hate non-direct inputs! Well, I have too
many great sources: CD, LP and FM, so far.

This pre-amp is no longer in production and is typically available for
less than half its original list of $1495. When I bought it, my ideal
pre-amp was an Audible Illusions, but all those ugly knobs, no remote,
so I took a chance with the Parasound. Did I also tell you that along
with the balanced topology comes polarity switching from the remote,
and polarity does make a difference. Now where do I put my groceries?

Submitted by David a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 23, 1998

Bottom Line:
I am new to audiophilia and have just bought the Parasound P/LD 2000 from an internet retailer. I paid just under $800 for the piece and am EXTREMELY happy with it. I auditioned the Parasound P/SD 1500THX and the Adcom GFA-700 and found the 2000 to be far superior to both in terms of clarity, image, and accuracy. I love this pre-amp!! I have an Acurus A250 amp and a Sony ES cd changer(obviously the weak link in my system), and B&W 603s. I also am using AQ Ruby interconnects and AQ Type 4 cable. I think it sounds great thanks to the Parasound pre-amp. For less than $800 there is no better pre amp on the planet! Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!

MS 1400W: