Odyssey Audio Tempest Preamplifiers

4.48/5 (25 Reviews) MSRP : $1125.00

MM/MC phono input

Submitted by Dave a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have read the many various reviews where there seems to be considerable discussions about the sonic characteristics of Odyssey electronics. My first experience was with the Stratos amp. The Stratos drove my Martin Logan CLSIIZs like it had 500watts. The sound is very analytical but easy to listen to for long sessions. Being satisfied with the amp, I later found a Used Tempest preamp. The sound, I thought, was very warm, almost tube like, but lacked detail. But, and I think this is where the differing opinions come from, it should be turned on and left on. I have never heard equipment that continually improves over time like the Odysseys. You can not do a quick A-B comparison with Odyssey gear. Once burned in and left on, the sound quality is exceptional. Neither my preamp or amp exhibit any hum or other issues other than an internal chirp when the Tempest is turned on. This is not through the audio chain. Klaus said this is just the relay engaging. Again, leave it on all of the time and you will find out why so many listeners and reviewers rate the Odyssey line so highly. And when was the last time you could call up a company and talk with the main man? Klaus is great to deal with.

Submitted by reon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
Got this second hand Tempest, the phono section hums but the line section is nice and quiet. Sound is not bad and actually I enjoying how it performs. Since I have some electronics skill I opened the preamp to take a look inside. This is the original version of the Tempest: not shielded transformer and regular pcb. Components are of good quality and wiring is nice, what disapointed me are the quality of the pcb and the way component were soldered on it. The pcb is not of the industrial (standard) type, it looks like the one used for hobby constructions, soldering quality is low, components legs were not trimmed properly and are too long, and solder will not go all the way up thru the board to the components, I think the bad quality of the soldering is because the cheap pcb used. These will make the preamp not reliable with probability of failure or hum. I'm sure the new version with the new pcb will be better and the way to go.

Submitted by Bryan Hunt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought this thru Audiogon for $550. A pretty good deal. I've had no problems with this unit. The phono stage is excellent. Like other reviewers have stated, it is a little warm-sounding (that's good--I can understand why it gets compared to tube pres), and very pleasant to listen to. I formerly had a McCormack ALD 1, which was more detailed, with a more precise soundstage, but tiring to listen to. The ALD's sound was too "hard", and was light in the bass dept. The Tempest has more warmth, better bass, and is simply nicer to listen to for extended periods. I would have given it 5 stars, but there ARE better preamps out there, but probably not at this price point. Other pre's i've used were the CJ PV11, Dynaco PAT4, Carvin C4000, and a few others. Out of the bunch, I prefer the Odyssey.

Submitted by gromonster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
I'm no audiophile, but I do enjoy clarity of music and can recognize quality sound when it is heard. After deciding it was time to upgrade the older preamp I had, I shopped around a bit and stumbled across Odyssey in my 'travels'. I read everything I could and decided the Tempest was a wise choice for my needs. Around the beginning of 2006 I called Klaus and we chatted for a bit deciding that the regular Tempest was probably the best option for the time being, so I ordered one and waited. The wait was the worst part, but the gear finally arrived. Astounded by the heft of the box, it was unpacked and installed within a couple hours of it being in the house. I was completely impressed with the solid construction. When everything was ready, I turned on the music and was very pleased with what I heard. Going through several CD's, I did begin to notice a subtle buzzing that has been noted by others, in the silence between tracks and when there was no signal being sent to the speakers. It was quiet but present. I then popped on an LP and noticed a very obvious hum. This I assumed was due to a ground, but I was unable to eliminate it successfully. Over the next few days I called Klaus and we chatted for a while, deciding it best for me to send him the pre. I sent it to him and he looked at it and we discussed the numerous variables that could cause such noise with equipment. After a couple of chats, I decided to have him go ahead and 'Extreme' the unit. It was returned to me within a couple of weeks, reconnected to my other equipment, and it was immediately obvious that this was a completely 'different' preamp under the hood. Not a peep out of the speakers aside from the music that was supposed to be there. When I put on an LP, there wasn't so much as a mild hiss, just the pop and crackles from some of my less than stellar albums. The Tempest Extreme had made me happy. It has now been about 8 or 9 months that I've had the unit and it makes my Magnepan 3.5's sing like they should. I have an older Onkyo Grand Integra M508 amp, and in the several years that I've had it I have never been disappointed with the sound. Well, I'm still not and it partners well with the Tempest. I'm sure that a couple of Stratos Extremes would make an even more impressive compliment, but that's an option that 'isn't' at the moment. Needless to say, I wouldn't hesitate to by Odyssey equipment again.

Purchased At:   Odyssey Audio

Submitted by Paul Buckingham a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
This review is for the standard Tempest. There seem to be some rather polarized opinions on this equipment. My view is somewhere in the middle.

I found the Tempest sound quality to be good, but not exceptional. When combined with the Stratos, the midrange was a bit forward and exaggerated with some sibilance, highs reasonably crisp and clear, and bass lacking in presence and definition compared to truly fine equipment. The soundstage was not as realistic as that of better equipment, either. Based on the sound quality alone I would give the Tempest 3 or maybe even 4 stars, but given the transformer buzz and overall shoddy quality of construction I can't go beyond 2 stars.

It amazes me to read review after review in which users who have had trouble with this unit give it 5 stars. Apparently people have been conditioned to expect lower quality than what I consider satisfactory. In my opinion, inconsistent performance and poor quality control should be cause for alarm rather than for praising the manufacturer for actually standing behind the warranty. Sending equipment in for weeks at a time for repairs is a major inconvenience and most manufacturers do not make us do that with the apparently high frequency that Odyssey does. I sold my Tempest and Stratos and would not buy another Odyssey product because of my concerns about consistency and quality control. Two experienced friends and I also found that a cheap Harmon Kardon receiver sounded at least as good as the Stratos/Tempest combo. Not recommended.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

getting started with the tempest

OK Finally I've gotten to the point of actually setting up a subwoofer. Today later when I wake up (it's 6am and I've not slept yet hopefully soon) I will finish assembly on my mid Q tempest. I need the polyfill for the inside and then mount the speaker and terminal plate. I got a terminal plate ... Read More »

Tempest II

Review for Tempest II Integrated Amplier Manufacturer : Rogue Audio Website: [url]www.rogueaudio.com[/url] Price : $2695Read More »

Tempest with 2 4" ports or 2 15" PR

Adire has instructions on how to construct an enclosure for 1 Tempest subwoofer and 2 4" ports which sounds really good for me. They also have instructions to build an enclosure with 1 Tempest sub and 2 of their PR15 passive radiators. I am stumped as to which of these I should do. The passive ra ... Read More »

SVS or Adire Tempest

Hi, I am in the process of upgrading my sub. I currently have a paradigm ps-1200. My budget is around $1000. This sub will be primarily used for home theater use, although i would guess the split would be around 80%HT/ 20%Music. The two alternatives I am considering right now are the follo ... Read More »

PANAMAX: