Odyssey Audio Tempest Preamplifiers

4.5/5 (26 Reviews) MSRP : $1125.00

MM/MC phono input

Submitted by Bryan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2017

Bottom Line:
I decided to try a quality solid state pre amp and amp with my Klipschorns (heavily modified and go well beyond 20KHz. Had been using a Cary SLI-80 and and mostly a 2A3 Amp and passive volume control. I thought low watt DHT would be audio bliss. After trying a bunch of phono preamps (some very costly /tubed) and ended sticking with a SoundSmith MMP3 to pair with a Soundsmith cartridge. I just couldn't find a great match for the moving iron cartridge. I bought a used Tempest SLB and initially was unimpressed. Had too much buzz/hum. Called Klaus (who is a wonderful person) and sent it to him along with the Stratos amp. He looked them over and discussed that I had an old model and there had been changes that addressed the issues I was having. We decided on upgrading the amp with SYmphonic line caps and updated the pre. He set gain to optimize for my K-horns. I am totally blown away by the sound! Took a few days on to settle down and open up but now the have replaced all my tube gear and I can't see going back to tubes. I'm really getting the most out of my speakers. Had tried McIntosh MC2205 amp before with them and I must say this Odyssey setup kills that as well and makes the Mac sound limp and slow by comparison. Gear runs cool. Life like dynamics, exceptional basscontrol, fantastic microdetail and life like soundstage. The most amazing thing is the phono pre with my cartridge. It is really exceptional. Would recommend Klaus and Odyssey to anyone interested in fine American products, exceptional audio and exceptional customer service! Money well spent. The groneberg cables really synergies nicely as well.

Submitted by Dave a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have read the many various reviews where there seems to be considerable discussions about the sonic characteristics of Odyssey electronics. My first experience was with the Stratos amp. The Stratos drove my Martin Logan CLSIIZs like it had 500watts. The sound is very analytical but easy to listen to for long sessions. Being satisfied with the amp, I later found a Used Tempest preamp. The sound, I thought, was very warm, almost tube like, but lacked detail. But, and I think this is where the differing opinions come from, it should be turned on and left on. I have never heard equipment that continually improves over time like the Odysseys. You can not do a quick A-B comparison with Odyssey gear. Once burned in and left on, the sound quality is exceptional. Neither my preamp or amp exhibit any hum or other issues other than an internal chirp when the Tempest is turned on. This is not through the audio chain. Klaus said this is just the relay engaging. Again, leave it on all of the time and you will find out why so many listeners and reviewers rate the Odyssey line so highly. And when was the last time you could call up a company and talk with the main man? Klaus is great to deal with.

Submitted by reon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
Got this second hand Tempest, the phono section hums but the line section is nice and quiet. Sound is not bad and actually I enjoying how it performs. Since I have some electronics skill I opened the preamp to take a look inside. This is the original version of the Tempest: not shielded transformer and regular pcb. Components are of good quality and wiring is nice, what disapointed me are the quality of the pcb and the way component were soldered on it. The pcb is not of the industrial (standard) type, it looks like the one used for hobby constructions, soldering quality is low, components legs were not trimmed properly and are too long, and solder will not go all the way up thru the board to the components, I think the bad quality of the soldering is because the cheap pcb used. These will make the preamp not reliable with probability of failure or hum. I'm sure the new version with the new pcb will be better and the way to go.

Submitted by Bryan Hunt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought this thru Audiogon for $550. A pretty good deal. I've had no problems with this unit. The phono stage is excellent. Like other reviewers have stated, it is a little warm-sounding (that's good--I can understand why it gets compared to tube pres), and very pleasant to listen to. I formerly had a McCormack ALD 1, which was more detailed, with a more precise soundstage, but tiring to listen to. The ALD's sound was too "hard", and was light in the bass dept. The Tempest has more warmth, better bass, and is simply nicer to listen to for extended periods. I would have given it 5 stars, but there ARE better preamps out there, but probably not at this price point. Other pre's i've used were the CJ PV11, Dynaco PAT4, Carvin C4000, and a few others. Out of the bunch, I prefer the Odyssey.

Submitted by gromonster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
I'm no audiophile, but I do enjoy clarity of music and can recognize quality sound when it is heard. After deciding it was time to upgrade the older preamp I had, I shopped around a bit and stumbled across Odyssey in my 'travels'. I read everything I could and decided the Tempest was a wise choice for my needs. Around the beginning of 2006 I called Klaus and we chatted for a bit deciding that the regular Tempest was probably the best option for the time being, so I ordered one and waited. The wait was the worst part, but the gear finally arrived. Astounded by the heft of the box, it was unpacked and installed within a couple hours of it being in the house. I was completely impressed with the solid construction. When everything was ready, I turned on the music and was very pleased with what I heard. Going through several CD's, I did begin to notice a subtle buzzing that has been noted by others, in the silence between tracks and when there was no signal being sent to the speakers. It was quiet but present. I then popped on an LP and noticed a very obvious hum. This I assumed was due to a ground, but I was unable to eliminate it successfully. Over the next few days I called Klaus and we chatted for a while, deciding it best for me to send him the pre. I sent it to him and he looked at it and we discussed the numerous variables that could cause such noise with equipment. After a couple of chats, I decided to have him go ahead and 'Extreme' the unit. It was returned to me within a couple of weeks, reconnected to my other equipment, and it was immediately obvious that this was a completely 'different' preamp under the hood. Not a peep out of the speakers aside from the music that was supposed to be there. When I put on an LP, there wasn't so much as a mild hiss, just the pop and crackles from some of my less than stellar albums. The Tempest Extreme had made me happy. It has now been about 8 or 9 months that I've had the unit and it makes my Magnepan 3.5's sing like they should. I have an older Onkyo Grand Integra M508 amp, and in the several years that I've had it I have never been disappointed with the sound. Well, I'm still not and it partners well with the Tempest. I'm sure that a couple of Stratos Extremes would make an even more impressive compliment, but that's an option that 'isn't' at the moment. Needless to say, I wouldn't hesitate to by Odyssey equipment again.

Purchased At:   Odyssey Audio