Naim NAC 82 Preamplifiers

solid state preamp

Submitted by Ploeppe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2010

Bottom Line:
151k serial number...I bought it secondhand, where it had hardly been used by another fellow. It's one of the late 82's, though. It's exceptionally good, period. I have been told by a couple of people that the late 82 with two Highcaps (and the NAPSC it comes with) sound better than the earlier 52's. I can't speak to that, but I had to add that the addition of a second Highcap makes the 82 sound way better. With one HC it sounds a lot like the 102-a bit better, but nothing like how it sounds with two power supplies. I will be trying a "Teddycap" that will replace all the Naim power supplies here in the near future. I paid $1900 for mine-mint condition. If I were a wealthy individual, I'd have paid full pop-it's that good. AND-for me this is most important-it has a "mono" switch. I find that the mono switch is an absolute necessity when listening to older RVG recordings...it seems he didn't understand the concept of stereo for a while (drums and bass panned hard right, sax and piano hard left-very realistic, Rudy. You should'a called Tom Dowd.) For me, the mono switch alone is worth the upgrade from the 102. But make no mistake, properly powered this is and amazing preamp. Right now I'm using it with a pair of 135's; soon I will add a 250 and a SNAXO and biamp my SBL's. Sources are a lowly CD3.5/Flatcap-a very good combo, but admittedly not up to the preamp-amp config, and a rather highly modified Moth (Rega) turntable with a rewired and massaged Rb300. I have owned a 32, 32.5, 102, Nap's 160, 250, and 135's. All first rate kit.

Submitted by JOC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2008

Bottom Line:
Only got one thing to say Steve C got an absolute bargain (??$1300). These things are still changing hands in the UK at 2000 (pounds sterling). Rock solid pure class A and the sound touches your soul.

Currently running mine with two hicaps, SNAXO 4 + hicap,x2 NAP 250's bi-amped to a pair of Linn Espeks with an 'old' Marantz Signature series CD player. Its just magic, had the local Naim boy around and his comment pretty near perfect despite its age. Upgrade? Linn Keilidhs to Espek.

Love it!

Purchased At:   Saudi

Submitted by Steve C a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought the NAC82 preamp second hand last year - upgraded from a NAC92!
For the Naim virgins, that's skipping straight past NAC72 and NAC102 in one go.

What an excellent product. Used with a single Hi-cap and NAPSC, and sitting at the heart of my
LP12/Lingo/CD3.5/Flatcap/NAT02/NAP250/Linn Keilidhs, it really is the best component I have overall,
as it benefits both CD & LP sources.

I'm sure the NAC52 is even better, but even at second hand/used prices it's way over my budget. Still,
I'm not exactly suffering with the 82..

Purchased At:   second hand/used

Submitted by Wilf Winter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
With the rest of the Naim kit I have it makes up a system that I find hard to fault and always leaves me impressed by the effortless manner in which it deals with all music. Particularly good on acoustic instruments and large scale, dynamic works.

Purchased At:   London