McIntosh C39

Submitted by Danny Noonan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2015

Bottom Line:
Some People have no Idea of McIntosh Equipment and the Quality that goes into there Stereo Systems.The people who leave negative are the ones who can not afford to buy there Audio.I'm talking to the one who left the remark I wouldn't pay more than $ 500 is one who most likely buys japan made stereo from best buy.He hasn't a clue of what he's talking about.What an A hole.

Submitted by Mateo Decaprio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2015

Bottom Line:
Of course this a well built piece of audio machinery. Fit and finish are great. Sound is good too. However, the most important part of a pre-amp are the inputs and this unit is totally outdated. It pairs well with a VCR! It is not old enough to be a classic and not new enough to be relevant. What is a THX card anyway? All of this proprietary junk is obsolete and unavailable now.

PROs: If you can find one of these cheap enough it will match your other Mcintosh gear. The volume knob works great. It can select from many analogue sources.

I would not spend more than $500 bucks on one of these units.

Submitted by Jinho Park a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
First off I fell in love with this unit back in 1994 when Stereophile originally reviewed it. I knew I had to have it, and then when I saw it on sale at a local dealer I jumped at the opportunity to get it.

Now 7 years later, along with the 6 channel input upgrade this unit is still my control center of my home theatre. It's still as stunning as the day I had it! The THX Prologic processing is still amazing, even by todays digital standards.

I love how many inputs/outputs it has, since you can never have too many of those. Although at the list price of $4000 back in 1998 it is no bargain, I've seen it on Ebay going for much less. I figure if you buy the C-39 with 6 channel input upgrade for $1500 and the MSDS-4 for $1000, you would really have a cheap version of their famed MX-132 (minus the tuner and balanced outputs). Personally I love my MR-78 tuner, and so I really didn't care for having the tuner part of the pre-amp, although I really would have liked having the balanced outputs...

I have a friend who bought the C-39 and had www.msbtech.com upgrade him to the 6 channel input and he didn't even lose his balanced outputs...go figure! Not sure why McIntosh did the upgrade and took out the balanced outputs.

Anyways, I love it... and I only hope that McIntosh upgrades their MSDS-4 surround processor which will incorporate the 6.1 DTS-ES and Dolby Digital THX-EX processing.

Submitted by Fantomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I wanted to get out of the neverending need of upgrading,
the neverending circle of new "reference" models being born every other day, putting the last "reference" piece behind in every aspect, and I wanted to end the pointless search for the unachievable, creating live-like atmosphere with a pair of speakers...
I wanted a steady system, I wanted to start spending money on software rather then hardware. I wanted a preamp that would take care of my two-channel listening as well as my home cinema. I now have a 40" Fujitsu Plasma TV, EAD TheaterVision P DVD player, McIntosh 7205 5-channel amp and Soliloquy front rear center and subwoofer speakers in my home theater and in my 2-channel setup I have a Theta Miles, Theta Gen. V., and a VPI TNT with a Pentagon, into the C-39 and Grado RA-1 headphone amp and RS-1 headphones.
I don't feel that I have to move this preamp out of the picture. I feel that now I have the best I should have and
I will not try to take this any further. If I would, I wouldn't have time to listen to music or funds to buy software. A killer piece of equipment.

Submitted by CHRIS NICHOLSON a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
SINCE PURCHASING THIS I HAVE BEEN VERY SATISFIED WITH BOTH THE SOUND AND VALUE. IF YOU CAN AUDITION ONE TAKE THE OPERTUNITY YOU WILL FIND IT REWARDING.I DON'T KNOW ANY OF THE TECHINICAL TERMS I JUST KNOW WHAT SOUNDS GOOD TO ME. MY WIFE ENJOYS THIS AS WELL.

Purchased At:   STEREO ONE