Mark Levinson No. 380S Preamplifiers

4.89/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $6495.00

Two-channel, solid-state line preamplifier with remote control, optional phono stage, 3 pairs balanced inputs on XLRs, 4 pairs single-ended inputs on RCAs, 1 pair balanced main outputs on XLRs, 1 pair single-ended main outputs on RCAs, 2 pairs record outputs on RCAs, communication connections on 8-pin modular RJ-45 jacks, IR input and trigger output on 3.5mm phone jacks, and RS-232 on 6-pin RJ-11 jack. Maximum voltage gain: 0, 6, 12, or 18dB, individually selectable for each line input. Volume-control range: 80.0dB. Gain resolution: 0.1dB steps above 23.0 on display (–57dB), 1.0dB steps below 23.0 on display (–57dB). Frequency response: 10Hz–40kHz, ±0.2dB. Input overload: 1.6V on XLR, 800mV on RCA (18dB gain setting); 3.3V on XLR, 1.6V on RCA (12dB gain); 6.6V on XLR, 3.3V on RCA (6dB gain); 13.2V on XLR, 6.6V on RCA (0dB gain). Input impedance: 100k ohms. Output impedance: <50 ohms. THD+N: <0.001%. Channel separation, any input to any output, input terminated: >90dB. Residual noise, 20Hz–20kHz, input terminated: <–94dBV. Power consumption: 50W maximum.

Submitted by uriah50 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2012

Bottom Line:
I've had this 380S for over 9 years and it's the best pre amp I have ever owned.
Rather than repeat what the others have said below, I'll just say all the reviews
below mine are great. I have never had any issues with my unit and have no intention
of ever replacing it in the near future. If you can find one used at a good price, pick it up,
you will enjoy it.

Submitted by GGanaway a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
I’ve been fortunate enough to own 3 of the more popular Mark Levinson preamplifiers: My first was the No 380, which I owned for 3 years before upgrading to a No 32. I sold the No 32 a month ago to help simplify my system and stepped down to a No 380S as its replacement.

While it’s been 3 ½ years since I owned the No 380, I have upgraded all cabling in the system making it very difficult, if not impossible to compare the two. I did spend a weekend with a demo 380S just prior to purchasing the 380. I based that decision purely on budget limitations. That said, I will do my best to base my review on my experiences with the 380S as a stand-alone preamplifier. So here goes, the 380S uses the same design approach as the No. 380 and gains its improvement with upgrades to 50 components. As many have pointed out, the No 380S is a very, very good preamplifier; whose shortcomings are only apparent when comparing it to the No 32 or other reference preamplifiers. My experience is that 380S offers lower grain, and greater transparency than the 380. It has a more open sound and the equipment seems to get out of the way of the music better. These differences are identifiable, immediately apparent and constantly in your face with every note, every recording session, every concert hall, every recording. These improvements (to me) then and now are worth the $2,500 price delta new. Current market prices for the two make them only about $1,000 apart and for that it’s a no-brainer, opt for the 380S.

As I have come to spend considerable time in 2-channel audio as a hobby, I’ve read countless reviews of equipment. The reviewers use descriptive terms like: transparent, warm, deeper soundstage, pace, decay, and the all too common “better bass” to describe components. For me all of these are understandable, but at the end of the day; listening is an emotional thing. It boils down to how true the reproduction is to the original recording session – it is as simple as that. I don’t want warm sound or harsh sound or even transparent sound. I simply want to hear what the recording engineer heard and for me the 380S does an ample job of that, particularly at today’s used prices; but I still miss my No 32.

Submitted by Hammer77B a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
Purchased a used/NOS 38S upgraded (at the factory) to 380S status. Liquid sound, not harsh or to analytical, balanced with no bloom. If you haven't moved to 380S and can afford to do so, DO SO! There is a noticable difference and it's for the better.

Purchased At:   Private Sale

Submitted by JAMES JOHNSON a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
Make no mistake about it the 38os is straight wire with gain.
Only tubes can give the live three-dimensional depth of field wrong this is so much better and no dam tube change ever. I was on my way to buy the cj17, I herd the sound and it was beautiful a bit more romantic then the real thing.
If live music is your love then the 38os is the way to go. I must also mention that separation is just right on most music, the inner details, a long with the base is beyond any tube unit I have ever herd. What if you could hear every musician playing in thier own spaces with complete fidelity to the music and hall all at the same time with no smearing of inner detail on every cd I put on and If I record a live performances it is played back with out a complaint. I hope you have the best equipment to go with it or I can only say for get about it. I will soon be replacing that dam cd player.
Associated equipment is Sonic Frontier power two-amplifier setup for my infinity references standard 1b speakers on the mid and high panels with a Classe DR9 for the base panels.
I trust my musician friends to know there own sound. I have a Rotel rcd 971 cd player and a revox b77 tape deck for playback of live music. I know I must change my cd player I’m looking for a dealer in my area with good prices on the no39.
I also want to mention I purchased the dealer demo with a trade for my old tube pre-amp and for this time I got a break, the prices just increased. I still get the five-year warranty. The sound was already broke in. If you can find this thing at a discount please go and listen, you will not regret it.

Purchased At:   Brack home enterrtainment

Submitted by James Drucas a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
Excellent quality and good looks. the top end krell preamp sounds a little bit better but not worth the price difference, but the #32 is by far the best preamp I have ever heard. I still own both 380s and #32. Now use 380s in my other system for gaming on my computer and tuner.

System