Mark Levinson No. 32 Preamplifiers

Reference Preamplifier

Submitted by Carl11529 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2014

Bottom Line:
ML 32 replaced Cello Audio Suite in my system, while power amplifiers remains to be Cello Encore 150 (at least for now). Though I had thought that Cello preamp with amps will be best match in terms of impendence matching (1 mega ohm etc), I prefer the matching of ML 32 and Encore 150. The Audio Suite is somewhat "framed" in forming the presentation of music in a certain euphonic way. Overall ML32 provide a more solid and nuanced sound, and no less musical than Suite. ML 32 is musically very involving, unlike some ML preamps I auditioned which were somewhat detached. Both ML 32 and Suite are legendary and wonderful. I wish I could keep both but not all our wishes could be satisfied...

Submitted by gasterus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2008

Bottom Line:
Bought the ML32 to replace my aging Krell KRC3 preamp. Bought the dealer's demo unit. All i can say that it is definitely in a different class from my KRC3 preamp. I can hear so much more detail through the 32, imaging is 3D with excellent holographic resolution. Soundstaging is also much wider and deeper than the KRC3. The 32 can throw so much detail at you without sounding harsh, the upper frequency is so natural and liquid sounding. It short, this is one of the best sounding preamp i ever heard. I'm glad i make the decision to go with the ML32. Even with its high price tag, it is worth every penny.

Associated equipement:
Krell 350mc power amp
Krell SACD player
Transparent Super cables
Magnepan 3.6R speakers

Price Paid:    $12000.00

Submitted by Don Howden a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
For me the most valuable consideration in evaluating a piece of audio gear is that it be uncolored. In other words, I do not want the component to impart any characteristic into the source material that wasn't in the source originally. On this front the 32 shines brighter than any preamp I've heard. Silent passages are pitch black while the sound is simply glorious. Excellent dynamics! I love the way in which the 32 can be configured. There are endless ways you can do it but the menus are easy to use.
I've added the ML Phono Amp to the 32 and have found it to be equal to the rest of the 32. This is probably the least appreciated accessory component I have ever come across. If you love vinyl you've got to hear this thing perform! Also, the way in which you can adapt the phono amp to your cartridge is amazing!

Price Paid:    $22000.00

Purchased At:   Audio Ark

Submitted by hugos7 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
Why do I need a preamp when I am using Elgar +, where I can do a direct connection to the power amps. Simply put the No.32 lights up the harmonics in the system. I have tried endless combination, I mean it is more detailed and balanced
and it "does" sound more musical using the No.32. I am also using a Turntable, Tape Recorders, and Turner which I enjoy and need.
Dead quite is correct, yet it is so vivid that every note on the music is so real, detailed and dynamic that your jaws just drop. The top end is detailed yet never harsh, middle is just like a dense fluid flowing yet not heavy, there is just so much more information flowing through.
This is the only preamp that I have used that brings the detail in bass for my great power amps.
The functionality is so thoughtful, that after all the gain settings are done it is ready to go for all my sources. Absolute silence on my speaker twiters during silent passages.
This is my favorite componet among all my audio gear, I must say.

Purchased At:   Aero Plus - Local De

Submitted by Bill_C a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've always found the preamp to be the weakest link. Not any more. The No. 32 is tonally neutral and conveys the wide dynamic range of music like a reference tube preamp but with the speed quiet and slam or solid state. Dead silent. Has a wide deep soundstage and a more recessed presentation but that's a choice, not a coloration. Reference grade all the way.

Price Paid:    $12000.00