LINN Wakonda Preamplifiers

4.56/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $1495.00

4 line-level inputs; headphones powered by separate internal stage

Submitted by doubleroll a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
Upgraded my majik to the wakonda. This preamp sounds warmer and more defined. The mids are clearer as well. A nice improvement. The wakonda has the latest power supply which may explain the sonic improvments.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by Joe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
First I would like to state that I use this pre with all Linn electronics. It is an excellent product. It seems to pass the signal from my source to my amps with no audible change. It allows for excellent detail, yet never becomes fatiguing. I did purchase some defective Linn speakers from a Linn dealer & was met with rude & crude treatment, by the dealer, while trying to resolve the problem. I've contacted Linn and they have not helped. I've purchased Linn from 3 other dealers & have found them all to be nice, but when a company will not stand behind its product, I would, at least audition the unit I was purchasing before leaving the store.

Submitted by Robert Raisp a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased this unit to replace my Sonic Frontiers Line 1 pre-amp (great built quality but too damn mellow…needs a pulse!!!!).

The Wakonda has significantly transformed my system from a mellow and basically boring playback device to a sonically flexible (I listen to almost anything therefore this is a plus…) and generally high quality analog 2 channel system.

Better yet, Linn has produced this excellent product at a very un-audiophile price. For the money, nothing touches its' performance while sonically challenging other substantially more expensive pre-amps.

Well-done Linn!

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
A highly neutral full-function preamp that performs to it's fullest potential in conjunction with other Linn components, as well as with the Slimline Brilliant power supply. Allows you to hear the characteristics of the source, rather than the coloration of the preamp (as it should be). High quality phono stage is the icing on the cake. As with all components, audition in your system before commiting to purchase.

Submitted by LINN a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 11, 1999

Bottom Line:
The Wakonda is derived from the preamp section of the Majik and is a clear step down from the Kairn. It is basically intended for people who wish to integrate convenience into their systems by adding the Kudos tuner module. This will give better fidelity than the stand alone Kudos tuner since the Wakonda has the slim-line brilliant power supply, and the stand-alone Kudos tuner does not. I would recommend it be used only with Linn electronics and cabling, otherwise the sound could take on an electronicized etched quality similar to that of the Majik used in some other non-Linn systems, hence the quote in HiFi choice about the Majik - "sounds vague and confused". Stacking the Wakonda between two components has a beneficial effect on the sound, making it smoother, however it ultimately lacks the clarity and musicality of the Kairn. If you are looking for a used one, be sure it is fitted with the most recent version of the brilliant power supply, or alter your offer accordingly to account for the cost of upgrading it.

Linn Wakonda Pre Amp

HI THERE, NEED SOME LITTLE HELP HERE. SOON I'M GOING TO GET MYSELF A LINN KLOUT POWER AMP AS I WHANT TO HAVE A BIG CHANGE OVER MY BELOVED ROKSAN KANDY MK3 AMP. I KNOW I HAVE TO GET A SEPERATE PRE AMP FOR IT, SO I AM THINKING OF PURCASING THE LINN WAKONDA PRE AMP WHICH I THINK IT WILL GO GOOD W ... Read More »

Atlantic Technology: