Krell KPS-25sc Preamplifiers

High End Preamp

Submitted by think a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
Bought the KRELL KPS25SC new .I put this article short and simple .What people talk about this player on Audiogon is bullsh*** this player is still one of the best in the world i have compared it to the best others Wadia etc etc.Please run this player with Krell Nordost mmf cast cables to Krell mono amps there will be no competition.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by dhmorse a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
I needed a high-end pre-amp and CD Player but had limited space for my gear. I had been using a Levinson 380S and No.39 and was very pleased. Then I saw the Krell KPS 25 on eBay at a fantastic price ($7,500) and with its warranty. I sold the two Levinson units for more than I paid for the Krell and have been very happy. The KPS is very detailed and revealing and is both an excellent pre-amp and CD player. I would argue better sounding than the Levinson's. I use the unit balanced with AR VTM200 amps and WATT/Puppy 6.0's. The combination is fabulous.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by M. SCHON a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
Had been extremely please with a Krell KRC-HR pre-amp and a Krell FPB-300, but was still using an 8 year old DAC from Theta. I have always felt Theta builds superb products at very competitive prices and considered upgrading my DAC to the GEN Va (would have saved me a fortune), but was curious to try this Krell unit. Big mistake...had to own it after hearing it with the FPB300. Sold the KRC-HR, the Theta equipment and made the plunge for the KPS-25SC. I fortunately found a demo unit from a Krell dealer in Ohio with all the trimmings and warranty for an incredible price. Couldn't pass it up. Shortly after, sold the FPB300 and upgraded to Krell's 650MC's monoblocks. In my opinion it doesn't get any better than this. The musicality, detail (especially low end) soundstage, smoothness, control and background silence of the KPS-25SC is unsurpassed. If you are a classical music buff, the KPS is amazing at revealing all the inner detail of the music. I couldn't believe all the nuances I was missing with my older digital gear. I am totally blown away every time I listen. A side note, the 650mono's are effortless on my Wilson Watt/Puppies 5.1s. I have never heard standard CD sound so superb. WARNING: Badly recorded CD's sound bad...no forgiveness here. I had been running Transparent Reference Cables for interconnects and speaker cables. Last week I purchased Transparent's production of Krell's CAST cables to take advantage of the CAST system Dan D'Agostino has created. I really didn't think it would surpass the Transparent, but to my amazement, it does with ease. Dan's on to something with the CAST stuff. Anyway, CAST cables run about $600 or so, so you can really save money on the interconnect portion of your system. If you are in the market for a unit that simplifies your life by combining an awesome CD playback system (and 24/96 DAC for DVD-V from a DVD player)and the best solid state pre-amp you will ever hear, audition this unit. And if you can get lucky as I did and buy it used or as a demo, you won't regret it. Just be certain everything else in your system is of similar quality. What's easily overlooked with Krell is its ruthless ability to reveal weakness in your chain of equipment and cables, which will never allow you to hear the KPS-25sc at its best.

My System:

VPI SDS power filter/speed control
Vendetta Research 2A phono pre-amp
2 dedicated 30amp/110 AC lines for Monoblocks
2 dedicated 20amp/110 AC lines for digital/phono

I could go on and on, but I hope this will at least inspire those interested to at least listen in their own systems and make up your own mind. Best of listening.

Purchased At:   PROGRESSIVE AUDIO, COLUMBUS,OH