Granite Audio 825 Preamplifiers

• Input Sensitivity: 180mV
  • Frequency Response: 11Hz to 36KHz

Submitted by wrto a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2008

Bottom Line:
I just wanted to add my kudos for the Granite Audio Aspen 825 tube preamp/headphone amp. I replaced a Dared tube preamp with the 825. I was indeed pleasantly suprised at the very wide sound stage, holographic imaging and the sometimes almost startling "the performers are in the room with you" sense of musical realism offered by the 825. The headphone portion of the preamp also sounds great, but I don't own super-high quality headphones, so I honestly can't give in an-depth review of that portion of the piece.
The only two minor quibles with the 825 are some tube hiss noticible when your audio system is idling (typical of most tube preamps in this price range), and a significant pop if you don't turn off your power amp before you turn off the preamp, again typical of tube preamps of this class. No big deal on either count, really.
To put it simply, the 825 preamp is cabable of transporting you through time and space to where the music lives, and that my friends is what this great hobby of ours is all about. This preamp has soul, and at the price I paid I can't give it much higher praise than that.

Purchased At:   Aspen Audio

Submitted by mittg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
I am very impressed. I replaced a Marsh p2000t with the Granute 825 and could not be happier. It has a true sound. No coloration. The sound stage is very good. Easy to pick instruments out . I have a pair of Quad ESL 57's powered by Cary SLM 100 Monoblocks. The marsh was tinier. This is very smooth and the low end does not roll off. I like Eva Cassidy for female acoustic and she sounds like she is in the room. This is the first tube combination where I can play Sade's "Lovers Rock "CD and the bass is clear, defined and enjoyable. The build quality is also impressive. Very solid. On classical and Jazz the instruments stand out when they are suppose too.

Purchased At:   Audiogon