Forte F-44 Preamplifiers

Line level preamp

Submitted by Hifive a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2016

Bottom Line:
I didn't think that a solid state preamp could replace my Audible Illusions L1 tube preamp but this one did. Don't get me wrong the AI L1 is a very good sounding preamp but the Forte F44 took things up a notch both in transparency and detail. The F44 has also bettered previous solid state preamps like the McCormack RLD-1. The F44 is grain free as well and has got to be a major bargain on the used market. If you see one for sale, don't walk, run and get it. You won't be sorry!

Submitted by Lou3rd a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got this preamp and was rather unimpressed with it. I contacted Jon Soderberg and worked out some mods to it. It is now FAR more open and lucid, has far better imaging, and is quite the mate for my highly moded Stasis 2 amp. If you want a real audio bargain, get this, or if a remote is a none issue, get an F-40 for even less money, and have Jon Soderberg mod it for you. Not inexpensive, but worth it, unless you can afford a Threshold T2... My rating only applies to a moded preamp, the standard preamp would be about a 2/3 in my opinion...

Jon's address;

www.rsvlonline.net/vintageamp

He can be a little slow on e-mail, you may get faster results calling during the evening when he is available.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Doug a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I replaced a Parasound Z-pre with this Forte F-44. Talk about a huge difference. This preamp sounds as good as any high-end preamp on the market. Dont wate your money on some $1500-$2500 preamp when you can get incredible sound from this unit. It is Class A Biased and has balanced inputs and outputs. This preamp is a great deal and will give you a nice soundstage and extreme detail.

5 Stars!

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by KEVIN a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
THIS THE BEST PREAMP I HAVE EVER USED. the sound stage is very detailed and clean bass is tight and man is it smooth. I let a friend borrow it while I was on vaction,because his $4000 proceed blew up and was being fixed.. When I returned he wanted to know if I would sell it(no way),because he could not believe how alive and detailed his system became. If you are in the market for a preamp and come across one of these for a good price,GRAB IT!!!. When they built it they did it right and the sad thing is it still blows away most of the new technology on the market today with a heavy price tag to boot.

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I realize comparing a dolby digital preamp like the DC/1 to a two channel preamp may not seem fair, but at the price paid new for each,(3x more for the lexicon) that would seem to level the playing field.
Thier is no comparison. I thought I Had a good thing going with the lexicon, but I was wrong.
The lesson here is, as is often the case less is more. Don,t get the wrong Idea about the DC/1, It is an EXCELLENT h/t Pre/pro.
My system: DC/1 DD DTS