Conrad-Johnson PV14L Preamplifiers

4.38/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $1995.00

tube preamp

Submitted by Ed P. a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2015

Bottom Line:
Wonderful sounding preamp. I put a set of Mullard tubes in it which CJ themselves sells. Thought the sound was a bit thick with rolled off highs. Bought some early 90s vintage 6C4 Westinghouse tubes for $2 ea. from tubeworld and wow, these tubes really added a lot of air and bass slam that I didn't have before. The preamp was much better but still had a hardness in the midrange. I swapped out the four output coupling caps for some DynamiCaps. Now we have something special. Extended highs, liquid midrange and rock solid bass. You NEED to try this mod. You'll need two 4uF and two 0.1uF caps.

Submitted by Tom Brown a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have listened to more expensive audio gear, but I have have never had a better musical experience. When I get ready for perfect audio gear, I will become a million selling writer and purchase something from FM Acoustics. Then I will know I have the best and most perfect audio gear. Until then, I have the best preamp for making me want to vegetate in front of my speakers and just soak up the glorious sound. This is a preamp for music lovers, instead of just those who listen to their gear and suffer from audio nervosa. I have no intentions of ever selling this preamp. I bought 5 extra pairs of tubes to allow me to literally wear it out. It uses a very unusual tube that was never used in the days of classic tube gear as far as audio goes. It's a British military tube that was built to incredibly high standards by Mullard and is quite simply the best 6C4 tube variant that was ever produced. C-J bought up a large supply from the British MOD, and so now we have this wonderful tube preamp for as long as those tubes exist. Those tubes will never go back into production, as the cost would be too high. The build quality of the tubes is quite evident and far better than the RCA 6C4 type I also bought a pair of for comparison.

Purchased At:   internet

Submitted by Philco50 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2005

Bottom Line:
Fabulous sound. Very detailed with very little of the old C-J golden tube glow. The sound is very close to neutral and wonderfully detailed and lively. The music pulls you in. Almost entirely free of any listening fatigue. I have heard much more expensive units that sounded no better. Mine has the upgraded NOS Mullard M8080 tubes.

Purchased At:   demo unit

Submitted by Audionut36 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was looking for something a tad more musical than my Cary, and the PV14L Series II did the trick. Not only that but I got a preamp with a killer level/balance control and more inputs.

Submitted by Will Daddy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
A couple of months ago, I made the jump from mass market garbage to high-end sound, so that will be the perspective of my review.

If you like tube sound (and boy do I) then you will like this preamplifier. Soundstage is open and airy with rich, warm tube sound. The break-in period is very reasonable and the unit warms up in about 45 minutes.

In comparison to the Musical Fidelity A3.2CR (a very good preamp), I preferred the richer, warmer sound of the CJ. Very comparable sound to the Audio Research SP16L preamp; you wouldn't go wrong with either.

As noted in many other reviews, the remote is very cheap and I'm a bit disconcerted that the unit doesn't quite "sit" level on the rack, but those are minor complaints.

If you can stomach the price of good gear, abandon your mass market electronics!

Price Paid:    $2050.00