Conrad-Johnson PV14L Preamplifiers

4.42/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $1995.00

tube preamp

Submitted by Tom Brown a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have listened to more expensive audio gear, but I have have never had a better musical experience. When I get ready for perfect audio gear, I will become a million selling writer and purchase something from FM Acoustics. Then I will know I have the best and most perfect audio gear. Until then, I have the best preamp for making me want to vegetate in front of my speakers and just soak up the glorious sound. This is a preamp for music lovers, instead of just those who listen to their gear and suffer from audio nervosa. I have no intentions of ever selling this preamp. I bought 5 extra pairs of tubes to allow me to literally wear it out. It uses a very unusual tube that was never used in the days of classic tube gear as far as audio goes. It's a British military tube that was built to incredibly high standards by Mullard and is quite simply the best 6C4 tube variant that was ever produced. C-J bought up a large supply from the British MOD, and so now we have this wonderful tube preamp for as long as those tubes exist. Those tubes will never go back into production, as the cost would be too high. The build quality of the tubes is quite evident and far better than the RCA 6C4 type I also bought a pair of for comparison.

Purchased At:   internet

Submitted by Philco50 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2005

Bottom Line:
Fabulous sound. Very detailed with very little of the old C-J golden tube glow. The sound is very close to neutral and wonderfully detailed and lively. The music pulls you in. Almost entirely free of any listening fatigue. I have heard much more expensive units that sounded no better. Mine has the upgraded NOS Mullard M8080 tubes.

Purchased At:   demo unit

Submitted by Audionut36 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was looking for something a tad more musical than my Cary, and the PV14L Series II did the trick. Not only that but I got a preamp with a killer level/balance control and more inputs.

Submitted by Will Daddy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
A couple of months ago, I made the jump from mass market garbage to high-end sound, so that will be the perspective of my review.

If you like tube sound (and boy do I) then you will like this preamplifier. Soundstage is open and airy with rich, warm tube sound. The break-in period is very reasonable and the unit warms up in about 45 minutes.

In comparison to the Musical Fidelity A3.2CR (a very good preamp), I preferred the richer, warmer sound of the CJ. Very comparable sound to the Audio Research SP16L preamp; you wouldn't go wrong with either.

As noted in many other reviews, the remote is very cheap and I'm a bit disconcerted that the unit doesn't quite "sit" level on the rack, but those are minor complaints.

If you can stomach the price of good gear, abandon your mass market electronics!

Price Paid:    $2050.00

Purchased At:   Premier Audio

Submitted by sirini mupparapu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
Ahhhh, It sounds great. The CJ costs a little more than some of the others, but It's a better product IMO. I have reached nirvana with this piece and have the best of both worlds. Presence, soundstage, tone, warm sounding, it's all there. Power by a Solid state power amp, It makes great music. Using the bypass (Home theater) feature allows me to connect my Lexicon MC-1 preamp to it and use the front speakers for both Music and HT. My vinyl sounds muy bien and my movie watching hasn't missed a beat. Versatile, sweet sounding and when warmed up it's hard to imagine any better sound. (I should find a woman like that)
Coltrane and Miles never sounded so good.

BTW, using the home theater bypass allows the use of your sub woofer. Real nice.

Purchased At:   Audio Video Solution