Classe CP-40 Preamplifiers

4.36/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $1500.00

(See reviews)

Submitted by edpadden a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit broken and repaired it for $35. It sounds very good to me. I am running it with an Adcom GFA-555II and a pair of B&W CDM-9NT's. Very open and dynamic. I think it is a very good value even at a much higher price

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by PetrusKy a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
The write up produced by Mike is entirely wrong. As I am about to buy a Classe preamp CP35, I visit this web page for ideas and comments. Most of the comments in this review is quite right with the exception of Mike. It is perfectly OK for a listener not to like the sound of a particular amp or pre amp, and I am very happy to hear his view, but it is very disturbing for a person to spread lie about a particular product.In any case, I was very concern about Mike's post. I call up Classe, and ask them about the Opamp things. They explain that the CP35 (the entry level pre amp) is made entirely out of discrete components. There are only two high quality opamps being used at the input as a buffer. This implementation is pefectly acceptable. In fact, high quality opamps (high bandwidth product) are very expensive. I also suspect that the opamp buffer might be used in the balanced mode. As we all know that the Opamp implementation in buffer mode has very high CMMR.
To investigate further, I went to my dealer, and borrow a CP35 for listening and investigation. I open up the unit, and sure enough, the technical rep from Classe is telling the truth.
As far as music is concern, I am very happy with the CP35 (as I can not afford the more expensive model). I did some A/B with some other preamps in the same price range. The Classe preamp is very detail, very warm and smooth. The imaging and depth is excelent. Its only draw back migh be the bass. It is very tight and well control but it does not go very deep. In any case, the CP35 is a very well match for my system.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Louis Peeler a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 12, 1998

Bottom Line:
I own a Classe CP45, and Classe CA300 amp. The 45 is extremely musical, warm and has great depth, the midrange is accurate, timbre of acoustic instruments is realistic, and it is a joy to use. My dealer sells Krell along side of Classe, and ARC, BAT and Ayre. All are different, but not worlds apart. Bashing equipment on this site is for very small minds, and reduces the integrity and joy of this hobby. These companies are run by dedicated music lovers, trying to enable you to have wonderful products to touch and listen to. Why not just relax and leave your brainless rantings for sports. If you have reached any level of maturity in life, you must realize you won't change anyones mind by spouting forth angry rhetoric. Enjoy your music.

Submitted by Yee a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 6, 1998

Bottom Line:
George, do you have any idea what your talking about. ?? I seriously doubt that you or your friends have ever auditioned Classe or Krell products in your own systems (assuming that you even have a system). Classe's preamps use all discrete components. NO OPAMPS !!
What is your beef with Classe? Were you thrown out of "high end" store because you were not considered a serious prospective customer?

Idiots generally don't know what they're talking about. Seems you fill the bill nicely.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Jason a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 6, 1998

Bottom Line:
A friend of mine just purchased this preamp a week ago. The rest of his system consists of a CAL Alpha dac, a CJ MF80 amp, Genesis 8300 speakers, a Parasound cd player (for the transport), and all Purist cables. He replaced a CJ PV2 with the Classe, and it was a night and day difference. More inner detail, more depth, wider soundstage, and better imaging. I like this preamp better than the AR LS-7 and LS-8, they sounded a little hazy to me.

FGH 26: