Chiro C-802 Preamplifiers

4.75/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $2198.00

DD/DTS

Submitted by ChrisC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have owned this unit for almost 4 years now and I can say I like this unit. Lately I am having problems with the OSD of the unit and I see whenever the calibration menu displayed. This caused me not to be able to setup the processor since you need the OSD to properly set everything up. I also am hearing some stuttering whenever I am listening to DD and DTS audios. Then I discovered a way to "RESET" this processor to factory presets and solved all my problems. I am posting these steps for everyone: PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT ME IF YOU'RE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH YOUR CHIRO C802. IF THE RESET CANNOT SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS, THEN I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIX THEM.

The CHIRO contains a CPU and other electronic components that are sensitive to static electricity. Prior to initial setup or if you are experiencing several audio or video problems with your CHIRO C802 Pre-Amp Processor, it is highly recommended to perform a “RESET” on the unit.

1. Make sure that there is no power to the Amplifier or the amplifier is turned off. This will prevent sudden power surge to your speakers during the reset process.
2. Make sure the CHIRO C802 is turned on. (LED indicator is red).
3. Unplug the AC power from the unit and wait for 1 minute to discharge all capacitors.
4. PRESS and HOLD the MUTE button on the front of the unit and plug AC back in. RELEASE the MUTE button after several seconds.
5. The display should set to “TV” and volume to “85.” If this is not display, redo steps 1 to 4.
6. Unplug the AC power from the unit again and wait for 1 minute to discharge all capacitors.
7. Plug AC back in.
8. The display should show “RESETTING …..” and finally it will be set to “TV” and volume to “59”. If all this does not display, redo steps 1 to 7.

Purchased At:   Audio/Video Dealer f

Submitted by Charles a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I can't believe the value in this preamp/processor. It really sounds great for the money. Now it's not a Theta Casablanca, but for under $1,500 on the used market, it blows aways any of the processors from Harmon Kardon, Adcom, Acurus or Denon. It is an exceptional value and the sound is more that digestable especially when matched with a great multichannel amplifier like the CAV-150 I was using to run it. I especially like it's 2 channel stereo capability!

The sound really surprised me and if you can still find one on the used market, I would snatch it up! Good Luck!

Purchased At:   Internet - Used

Submitted by Knut Moen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
IMHO it can compete with dedicated stereo pre-amps in the same price range, the sound is very musical and involving, could maybe have been a bit warmer in some classical music. I think its far better than the Rotel on stereo performance

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Lyric HiFi

Submitted by Yongki Go a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
First of all, I put more emphasis on the stereo
performance of my system than the HT performance.
In stereo, I like the Chiro C802 better than the B&K
Ref. 20 or Acurus ACT3. It's more transparent and
smoother, musically more involving. It doesn't compete
with a dedicated stereo preamp such as Krell KAV250p
($2200 retail), but it comes close. Compare to this
Krell preamp, the Chiro lacks a little bit of smoothness and
air, also its soundstage is shallower, but then again
this is not a fair comparison. The bottom line is it's
excellent in stereo for an AV preamp of its class.
I have nothing to complain about on its DD or DTS performance, it's as good as any unit in its price range.
My only complain is it's rather slow in changing between modes, but this is a very minor problem. Then again,
even the Krell HTS which costs about three times the Chiro costs has similar type of weakness.