Audio Research SP11 MKII Preamplifiers

2 chassis hybrid full-function pre-amp

Submitted by stevo58 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
i just want to inform all the members here, that the SP11 HAS a balanced output and it sounds even better with a balanced amp like for example the V70, if this possibility is used!

it has no XLR output (this was not usual at this time i think), but there is place to install some (compare back of the SP-15 !)

on the back you see very right a pair of sockets called "direct" beneath some called "invert".
all you have to do is to install a female xlr output and to connect the "hot" fo "direct" with pin 2, the "hot" of "invert" with pin 3, and if you want - see explanation below - the ground with pin 1.

in the SP-15 this is done from ARC in exactly this way!

if you want to let the body original you can do this:

all you need is a cable (of course per channel!) which connects the direct output with pin 2 on a male-XLR on the other side and the invert output with pin 3. if you want, you can also connect the ring of the chinch-connectors to pin 1 (grounding) - my experience is, that it sound better without grounding. i think because the body of the SP-11 and the body of the used amp are grounded, so it needs no further grounding.

sorry for my english, i am austrian and school is long ago ;-)

be careful, if you do version with XLR-females, its your own risk, disconnect the unit and be careful.
version two with two chinch to male-XLR ist riskless, if you do anything right!
if you have questions, ask at > - your welcome!

Submitted by RobG a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
I was just browsing at some of the reviews and noticed this review for my SP11 mkII.
After reading thru all the posts (5), I couldn't agree more with other evaluations of this great preamp. I've tried the Cary SLP-98p (which is a fine amp in its own rite), the CAT, Joule Electra LA-100 MkIII, and a couple of older preamps, and NONE compare to the SP11's linestage and phonstage.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by sounddude a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
Man, I hate to be piling on top of all these reviews with another one of the same. However, given its performance, I simply cannot disagree. After having chances to many state of the art preamps (Boulder, Cello, Burmeister, Levinson, CAT, Marantz 7C, Counterpoint, ARC SP-10 MK2, ARC SP-8 MK2, ARC Ref 2, etc.), I still love this bad boy and would not trade it for anything else. Be sure to find a MK2 version and hang on to it!! I think a pristine condition one for $2500 or so is well worth it.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by BobbyM a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
WOW I am Shocked,super pleased,audio heaven.The ARC SP-11 has got to be one of the best devices to bring a system into synergy Period.
Before I got the SP-11 I was endlessly chasing the sound I was looking for,when the SP-11 got here it not only met that sound it blew way past what I needed in Hi Fi.
I had a sonic frontiers line 1 before and boy was I missing the boat,The SP-11 is a wonderful piece of gear that I feel privliged to own if you have a chance to get one do not hesitate,don't even think about it,you won't even miss the remote.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Stephan Fiege a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
The SP 11 is a real bargain in a used "tube" preamplfier. I only miss the balanced in- and output, which I prefer.

The sound of the preamp is very accurate, and detailed in its sound reproduction. I haven't heard before a "room" like this. The soundstage is breathtaking. It is incredible how much music I was losing to hear in the past.

I can't give information about the phono stage because I use only CDs. But believe me, the AR sounds also with digital-equipment wonderful to my ears - mated with a transistor amplifier.

If you ever have the chance to go audition one used do it.

Price Paid:    $2000.00