Audio Research LS2 Preamplifiers

4.73/5 (22 Reviews) MSRP : $2500.00

Hybrid line stage pre-amp

Submitted by baxialby a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2015

Bottom Line:
I own this preamplifier since a long time, currently is the pre I use in my system after many attempts with other products (younger and older.) I came to this and I purchased second hand because it impressed me as soon as I tried that I couldnt believe. It is built like a tank, very sensistive to cables quality and other equipment. To me is outstanding and I will never change it.

My System

Handmade Speakers with Morel components
Audioquest and Monster cables

Submitted by Craigy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2014

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying that I have had this unit for almost 10 years. I have enjoyed it since I bought it. Inspired by the previous posts, I decided to upgrade it. I put the Dynamicaps in, and also a new tube (cryo treated JJ Tesla) and plugged it in.

This made a huge difference... the imaging and detail was so much better. The sound also seems to be taller, if that is possible.

One thing is that the soundstaging seemed to be lost.. the depth gone.. I am not sure it that is because everything else is now much better or not.

Perhaps it is the rest of my system, the new tube, the positioning of my speakers or indeed my room that makes it sound less than totally amazing, but I am not sure. I will be adding some Zero autoformers at some time soon and hope this is the final link in the system that has taken me over 20 years to build.

Don't get me wrong, this is still an incredible piece of kit and after the upgrades, even more so. The loss of soundstaging is what makes me give it 4 starts, although in the right system this would definitely be a 5 star pre-amp. This is great value, at the price, and upgraded is even better.

System:

LS2 (obviously)
Atmasphere S-30
Sony DVP-S9000ES as CD transport (Previous Sony CDP-777ES which died)
Cambridge audio Dacmagic2 (modified)
Choseal interconnects
OCOS transmission speaker cables

Submitted by vonhagen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2013

Bottom Line:
best preamp i have owned, now just take out the stock 6922 and put in a telefunken e88cc and you will be in music heaven. running in balanced with kimber hero xlr to a threshold t400 with kimber 12c cables to magnaplaner 1.7's. source is sansui tu9900 with full radiox mod and kimber silver streak rca's and for digital an iPod with a luxman d100 da converter with silver streak rca's. right now i am listening to a baja ca station that plays classical music 24-7 and the old sansui brings it in crystal clear and the background is dead silent. you would have to pry my cold dead fingers off the volume knob to get this arc ls2b mark2 from me. fm is alive and well in so cal and baja to.

Submitted by JosephCoty a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2008

Bottom Line:
I've owned this preamp for several years and I've come to think of it as an old friend. As the cornerstone of my system it has helped me connect with my music in a very intimate way sometimes rolling tears down my cheeks. If you haven't experienced that level of intimacy with your music, this preamp is a good place to start. To squeeze more from the platform as it aged I quickly went all balanced which really lowered the floor. Eventually I used a NOS Bugle Boy 6550 tube made in Holland which really warmed things up. This past year I've used a Telefunkin CCA which is increasingly rare and insanely expensive but it has really spread out the soundstage while preserving crystal clearness in detail. I have the LS2B MKII.

My System:
Audio Research VT100 MKII Amplifier
Audio Research LS2B MKII Preamplifier
Meridian 508-20 CD Player
Vandersteen 3A Signature Speakers
Shunyata Anaconda and Python power cables
Transparent Musiclink Ultra Speaker and balanced interconnects.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by snootybiffer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2008

Bottom Line:
What a great piece of equipment! I have had well over 40 preamps in my audio pursuits, but the LS2 has finally had the sound that I have been looking for! The soundstage extends well beyond the speakers, detail and richness galore! the vocals are simply incredible! Male and female. All the instruments are precisely defined! This unit has increased my listening time to an extra 3 hours a day. I used to have the LS15 and it is a good sounding unit also but it doesn't have the magic that the LS2 has. The icing on the cake is that there is only one tube. If it sounds this good with the Soviet tubes, I can't imagine what it will sound like once I begin tube rolling! If you ever have the opportunity to get your hands on one of these, it would be well worth your while. I traded a PS Audio PCA-2 preamp, which I held in pretty high regard. I read the reviews here for the LS2 and decided to take a chance. It made the PS Audio sound like a boom box!
I have a basic system with a Krell KCT-100, Meridian 508.24, KEF Q60 speakers, PS Audio XLR cables, MIT RCAs, PS Audio Extreme Statement bi-wire speaker cables.

Purchased At:   Audiogon