Aragon 28K Preamplifiers

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Remote Control Preamp

Submitted by Rick a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
After auditioning several preamps in the $1000-$2000 range, I went with the Aragon unit for its sheer power and drive and soundstaging. Its active stage was much better than the Adcom 750s active (The Adcom in pasive mode was nice) and overall smoothness was better than the Forte. The Audio Research is a nice unit but the bass had less definition in my opinion.
The Aragon works flawlessly and is very quite. The build is solid, the output rcas are nice for a product of this amount. The ability to adjust the balance is a feature I didn't think too much about unit I realized how often many recordings are tilted off balance. I really like it a lot.
The sound to my ears is very transparent for a $1200 unit, though I have heard better resoulution in a passive design but with less drive, bass and soundstaging.
Overall a very good active stage without spending your savings on it.

Purchased At:   Mile High Fi

Submitted by Ernie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
Overall a good buy in terms of sound. In terms of quality I have some doubts. Caveat Emptor?

Submitted by Jeff a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
Here's a well designed, nice looking, neutral preamp that has a
remote control anyone can understand. The real fun
thing about the remote is it also controls balance, in
addition to volume and mute. The build quality is high
and this preamp competes with much more expensive gear. I
still can't find the weaknesses of this preamp - it has
uncovered the weaker links in the chain! If you can find
a better solid state remote controlled preamp for less money, buy it!

Submitted by Arek Skibicki a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a truly good pre. I have listened to many and I beleive this one ranks very highly in terms of being very neutral. This Pre works in perfect harmony with my Bryston amp. I really can't say it adds anything significant to the signal but the Bryston is a bit more smooth. The characteristic 'snap and slam' is still very much preserved but any semblance of grain is gone. I feel this is a good companion to the Bryston because of the similar sonic signature between the aragon 8000BB and the 3B/4B, and since I am sure aragon designed the 28k to have a synergy with their amps, I figure (rightfully so) that the two would meld nicely.

If anyone has any ideas on inteconnects please let me know, still haven't solved that puzzle yet.

Submitted by Pat a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
Have had this preamp for awhile(~ 2 years). Numerous line level inputs. Built like a Sherman tank.(Build quality is excellent). This is by far the quietest remote controlled preamp I have heard including an auditioned Meridian. Remote volume and Balance puts you right in the sweet spot without moving. Looks good and feels good. Good tactile feedback from the knobs and the volume control. Feels like an expensive piece of equipment and sounds like it too. If I find a way to blow this tank up I will definetly purchase another. BTW - I frequently listen to what's out there so it's not like I just sit back in my own little world an am naware of other available equipment. If you are in the market for a preamp give this one a listen.

TARA LABS: