Adcom GFP-555II Preamplifiers

Submitted by Mike Chris a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2014

Bottom Line:
This thing is a rockstar! It's got the same board as the GFP 565 reference unit. It's got an ALPS volume pot. It's got THE BLUE BOARD! Gold plated connectors. Discreet circuits. Quality Japanese capacitors and resistors. If you were to produce this unit in 2014 it would cost you $1500. It's a bargain at $400 on the used market. The headphone amplifier is wonderful and the phono section is among the best I've ever heard. I cannot recommend enough. This may be the best hidden gem in audiophile preamps. Don't believe me? Try for your self. Be sure to open the case and take a peek inside for your self. The quality is striking.

Submitted by twc644 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
My rating pertains to the 1986 gfp 555 unit re-capped so this may not be a fair review.Anyone reads my reviews they'll see I'm a firm believer in good capacitors.There was a time when I thought Adcom was lousy sounding equipment from what I've owned in the past.Not this 1986 preamp after I replaced every electrolytic capacitor with some bypassed with polypropylene caps which has elevated it to a whole other level in performance.

In stock form it was flat or dry sounding and had crappy Jamicon capacitors in stock form.Now,it has incredible sound which once again proves my theory: great circuit design with the sound being compromised with cheap capacitors.I guess the company has to cut cost somewhere and they did this with the capacitors.Many do this by the way not just Adcom !

Now,it has very clean bass that has a fast tight sound.Not bloaty at all.The midrange has a very relaxed sound.Treble is much cleaner which helps with 2 way speakers.

Frankly,this has turned out to be one of my favorite mid fi preamps I've owned yet and I've had Luxman, Yamaha, and Onkyo in the past.Also, re-capping it has extended the life of the unit.You become so accustom to the sound of your equipment to the point where you dont realize the sound has degraded once this equipment starts aging and caps have a limited lifespan moreso than other parts.

It truly delivers beautiful sound to my ears now and is so much more dynamic.This preamp has quite a simple circuit and no where near the amount of passive compnents vs. other units I've owned.Sometimes less can offer more if the circuit is designed well.

It has tone controls and a loudness they call "contour".The tone controls can be turned off for the purist that dont like "colored" sound.Has phono,cd,tuner,auxillary,and two tape inputs as well.The only thing missing is a tuner but i'm not a radio person so no love lost there.

If you have the means to obtain one of these and put decent quality capacitors in it I doubt you'll be disappointed.In fact,you'll be pleased and I cant put a dollar amount on how much one would have to spend on something new to equal the sound of this now 22 year old preamp.

For anyone interested in what parts I used.Nichicon vr series for the main power supply caps.I bumped up the size to 6800 uf and added Dayton poly caps for better filtering.The rest used in the signal path and other areas were Rubycon zl and Elna Silmic II and some of these Ii added Kimber caps.It made quite the difference !

Strengths:
great dynamics across the board in general.

Submitted by dlb945 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2006

Bottom Line:
I placed bids on eBay for a GFP-555II for several months finally winning this unit for my $100 limit. I wanted to try an Op-Amp based preamp to see how the sound compared to vintage solid state and tube preamps in my modest collection.

It sounded very good at first listen and the equal to a modified Marantz 7T SS unit but without the warmth of a Dynaco PAS-3X. After a few days, the depth of the soundfield increased with improved side-to-side image. After a couple of weeks, the GFP-555II became a keeper and my favorite preamp.

It works best with a tube amplifier and the favorite here is a vintage Conrad Johnson MV75A1, 6550-A based 75 w/ch driving Klipschorns. Wow!

Highly recommended for those who love the advantages and mix of solid state and tubed components.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by jwsb a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
Had this in my place with a matching Amp the GFA 555Mk II. I have to say that I've always been an Adcom fan due to their price to performance ratio. i've had many experiences with their amps particularly the 545 and the 555 which I always recommend w/o hesitation.

This preamp? well....... It's Ok but couldn't really say it was at par with some of the other products i've tried from their company.

I matched it with the gfa 555 and my Audio definition floorstanders and compared it later on with a budget tube preamp the Dynaco PAS3. The result was not good. It GFP55 was annoyingly Dull and Veiled. Yes it handled the extreme really well and not as annoyingly bright as most SS preamps but it just didn't have that life giving magic. Details were not as crisp and transients was like watching a boxing match where fighters had pillows on their fists. Maybe I just got a tired example.

I couldn't find any redeeming quality.

I would recommend other vintage SS products within the price range that could pull it's panties down. Such as: Used Sonographe, Any Superphon especially the revelation, NAD 3020 used as pre and the Metaxas Marquis

Purchased At:   Private

Submitted by brigrizzme a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
Ouch. The only preamplifier I’ve owned that sounded worse was a Carver C-2. This makes my speakers sound like tin cans on wax strings. The sound is too forward for my taste. Maybe it sounds good with heavy metal or rap?

Purchased At:   Private