Yamaha CA-600 Integrated Amplifiers

4.92/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $330.00

35W/per channel integrated amplifier

Submitted by William Murray Cameron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought my CA600 in 1973 with part of my student loan money for college. That was 40 years ago! It still sounds awesome. I use it with a Sony ST5000W tuner and hand built air suppension speakers with 9 Philips drivers in each cabinet. This combination with a Thorns TD160 turntable is all I will ever need. The Yamaha CA600 is the heart of the system, which has remained unchanged for 30 years. The Yamaha has true power and clarity, the variable loudness control is very useful. I have to agree it is built like a tank and everything sounds beautiful and relaxed no forced sounds. If you get a chance buy one, mine has never needed a repair.

Submitted by Old Rusty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
To put it simply : SOUNDSTAGE! Open, three-dimensional, detailed & musical beyond belief. The rock, the roll, the jazz, the classique, everything sounds sweet through this baby. Beautiful amp that's also built like a tank. If you see one, buy it, hook it up & crank it!

Purchased At:   IAVS Canada

Submitted by Bill LeBlanc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
I first layed my hands on this amp in 1988. It belonged to a friend of my brother, and, though I can't remember what was wrong with it, I was asked to repair it if possible, which I did without requiring any new parts. It was later passed on to my brother, and eventually to me. I have been using it for about 13 years now, and I have had to perform one minor repair (mainly cleaning) in that time, again without any new parts involved.
Well it's cleaning time again, so I disconnected the old girl and put it on my workbench (kitchen table), temporarily replacing the hole in my setup with a much newer Kenwood amplifier. Well I don't want to knock the Kenwood; it sounds ok, I guess, but there is absolutely no comparison here. Suffice it to say, I will be getting my Yamaha cleaned and back together ASAP. I had originally planned on replacing some of the capacitors, since they are 33 years old after all, but I don't know if I can wait that much longer knowing that it isn't really necessaty to do so just yet. A definite case of 'you don't know what you've got until it's gone'.

Submitted by Ry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
I got a CA-600 amp from my dad a few years back, and I've been using it to drive a pair of 12 inch subs ever since... It's unlike most home amp's I've seen... It's almost difficult to bottom out the power caps, even with two 500 watt speakers, and it easily knocks things off the walls downstairs.
It's design is simple, effective and asthetically pleasing, the tone controls have an excellent range, and the high/low filter switches are very handy.
This amp is also quite versatile, with 2 aux inputs, a tuner imput, 2 phono inputs with switchable impedance, and 2 tape in/outs. Along with a switched preamp connector that makes for easy hookup/control of an equalizer.
Highly reccomended to anyone seeking an amplifier that isnt full of useless controls, and simply gives you what you need: quality, power and versaility.

Purchased At:   my father

Submitted by freddy tombs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
for a something year old amp easily the best and ive heard some pretty expensive ones mines a ca natural sound my only regret is im running it on old technics speakers highly recommended for those who cant afford the most expensive these days

Purchased At:   friends