Yamaha CA-1000 Integrated Amplifiers

4.78/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

Switchable class Ab-A High End integrated amp

Submitted by Bert a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2016

Bottom Line:
I own a CA1000 for one year no. I also owned a CA800 which was for about 5 years my main amplifier in use. These Yamaha's are for me without doubt belonging to the best class A amps I have ever heard. I was able to compare them with a Quad 303 / Quad 405 MK2, a Sugden and a few Naims. The speakers i use are a pair of Tannoy Turnberry's HC The Sugden amp. came close but with a gun on my head I'd say that the Yamaha is even a little better. An interesting thing with the CA1000 is the main's input with a disconnect knob to bypass the complete pre-amp part. With a nice little tubed pre-amp (Decware) you'll hear music as you never did before. I paid € 500,00 for an originally technically revised CA1000. Buy this machine without prejudice! It won't become much better!

Submitted by Richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2015

Bottom Line:
I have had my Yamaha CA 1000 since new in 1973 it is still working perfectly driving a pair of original Gale 104, it is like an old friend the sound is smooth and gives no fatigue after many hours of listening, these older amps can still sound great, proves how good they are.

Submitted by darkomatic a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2008

Bottom Line:
I recently bought CA-1000 partially thanks to this forum, for 250 dollars. It has its own sound character-rather bright than natural, fluid and delightful. In class A works significantly better (for classical and vocal-oriented music).

Submitted by skate a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
I picked up my CA-1000 amplifier, along with a matching CT-800 tuner and a pair of the original Henry Kloss Larger Advent speakers at a garage sale to replace my fathers pioneer amp that was on loan to me. I obtained the whole package for a mere $50 (the best $50 I ever spent)and later aquired a pair of Tannoy Stratfords, which are also hooked up. When I brought it home I hooked it up and it sounded absolutely beautiful. With this amazing setup in my bedroom, I'll never feel the need to buy some crappy boombox-ugly-ass, pitiful sounding portable stereo like oh so many of my friends have. Although I'm presently 18, since I started getting into older stereos and consequently modern high-end stereo equipment at age 16, I feel as though I've learned an incredible amount, and I'm anxious to learn more. But more on the amp. When paired with my Advents, it has very precise treble, a little cold at times but overall very detailed. Excellent mid-range and outstandingly deep, solid bass. It does run a little hot in class A, but I usually run it in class B due to the fact that it doesn't sound all that different. I love all the switches and knobs, easy to use and very distracting while attempting homework nearby. Also, my favourite feature would have to be the ability to power 3 pairs of speakers; very useful. On top of all of this, it looks so good with all that brushed aluminum and 70's wood; tight!

Purchased At:   garage sale

Submitted by Ian Rivlin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought my Yamaha CA-1000 in about 1976, when I lived in Leeds, England. At the time, I did extensive listening and testing, with a variety of equipment. Easily, the Yamaha was the best. I still own it but don't use it much as I have gone across to a Leak tube amp (Since I am using Klipsch horn speakers, which don't require much driving. The Yamaha gives a sound very similar to a tube amp - maybe a fraction more analytical than the Leak and a fraction less "mellow". There is, nevertheless, no listening fatigue - which is more than I can say for a mass of modern amplifiers. This amp cost 400 pounds in about 1976/1977 (I can't remembe!). It was ahuge amount then but well worth it.

Purchased At:   Leeds 1976