Yamaha AX-596 Integrated Amplifiers

4.87/5 (23 Reviews) MSRP : $549.00

Natural Sound Integrated Stereo Amplifier

Submitted by Maxi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
Excellent sound, deep bass. Easy to use. A convenient remote control. Very well built, robust design.

Submitted by Reginald Murray a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is a tremendous integrated amp that has a very warm and natural acoustic property. It is a very good choice for digital playback because it is not brittle or harsh like so many mid-grade components.

Submitted by johncee1945 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2008

Bottom Line:
I purchased this integrated amp AX392 (second hand) for the bedroom and was surprised by the quality. My experience with Yamaha amps in the past was they were too bright and/or crude. Or in the case of their seperates M4 they were grainy. Used in the bedroom I play the AX at the lower levels rising to the mid levels and the amp runs nicely with a good Rotel tuner and CD player. The speakers I use are hand built back in 1963 using some of the best quality speakers and crossovers. Even worse, they are reasonably large and I have them sitting on top of wardrobes ! No one is more amazed than myself that they still produce the goods. This is a nice amp that is lively for classical, jazz and theatre music.

Purchased At:   Markets

Submitted by Carlos a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
Amazin, simple as that.

Purchased At:   Yamaha store

Submitted by kenpersico a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
I am using this ampli with an AH 4000 cd player and Avance 603 speakers.
I know it is better to avoid buying components based on reviews, but I hate HiFi retailers, and since this ampli had such a good rating I decided to risk it.
At the beginning I tought that the ampli had the tendency of enhancing the bass frequencies, but after some time I understood that this was due to the position of my speakers. I bought a pair of stands and I moved the speakers from the library shelfs to the stands. This solved the problem and improved the sound consistently.
The ampli sounds better with the direct cd amplification, the sound is sharp and not very round, but very clean and open. It sounds very good also at high volumes. The bass is controlled and the high ranges are clean and definite.
All in all I can say that it has no weaknesses, unless you do not like the type of sound that it produces, sharp, not very round, but precise.
I compared this ampli with a rega brio, which costs twice as much. I have to say that I prefer the yamaha (which by the way, weighs twice as much). The rega may sound more smooth, but the yamaha is more clear and open.

Just one word about the loudness circuit. Many people say it is not hifi, but when you try to listen to the music at very low volumes, it helps making your stereo sounding different than a simple FM radio.

Purchased At:   Germany