Yamaha CA 800
Description: Integrated amplifier

Submitted by staser a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have used many amplifier from different brands like Pioneer, Marantz, Sony, Denon, Kenwood, Sansui, Nakamichi etc. out of all these brands Marantz and Nakamichi are my favorite.

After using 2 Yamaha DTS AV receivers I concluded that Yamaha doesn't know how to make good sounding amplifiers. they were very bad sounding DTS amplifiers even an entry level denon or marantz can beat the sound of Yamaha. So because of my bad experience I was reluctant to buy this amp. But when when I told my cousin (who is also an audiophile) that I have a chance to buy Yamaha ca-800 amplifier at only $50. He forced me buy it. he said you will never regret it.

So I said to myself WTH lets try this amp. After bringing it home my expectations were very very low because of the bad sound of yamaha dts amps.
So I connected this amp and was immediately stunned by the sound quality of this amplifier. its was a jaw dropping moment for me. This amplifier easily beats any model from Nakamichi or Marantz (whether cheap or expensive).
This amplifier sounds so good that you may start worshipping it. trust me.

Don't ever judge Yamaha by their dts amplifiers they don't know how to make surround sound amps....
but this amplifier will definite make you a YAMAHA lover and you will never listen to your favorite marantz, sansui or nakamichi again.
TRUST ME.

Submitted by spik a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2010

Bottom Line:
Bought this as faulty. It really only needed a good going over with contact cleaner.

Its performance in Class A mode is simply superb.

Given it's age and that it cost only NZ$65- this is a real turn-up for the books.

It runs very hot idling in Class A of course, but get some sounds flowing through it and the depth and clarity of the reproduction is fantastic. I'll certainly be on the lookout for another.

Switching this to Class A/B makes it a nice, but not spectacular integrated amplifier, but Class A - Well staggering. If you find one for sale it's well worth buying.

Submitted by Old Rusty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2008

Bottom Line:
Do yourself a favor and buy one of these amps whenever you see one for sale. This tank makes other amps of it's type a joke. When running this bad-boy in 'Class A' mode the 3-dimensionality of the sound is totally phenomenal.

Low-end, high-end, and mids are all beautifully rendered without even a hint of shriek or mud, regardless of volume level. Hell, I've even occasionally used it to listen to movies in stereo instead of surround! For those looking for a quality integrated amplifier regardless of it's age, look no further than the Yamaha CA-800.

Purchased At:   Craigslist