Yamaha DSP-E492
Description: 3-channel integrated A/V amp/surround processor

Submitted by b318isp a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
I replaced an aging 2.1 Celeston unit with the (2nd hand) E492. For the price it has been perfect for what I want. I run my main Tannoys via a Audiolab 8000A and did not want to detract from this; so the 3 channel "add-on" of the Yamaha suits me perfectly.

I use an active Kef subwoofer, so that amplification if taken care of too.

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
Had this unit for about 2 years. Like another Dave, I have mine connected to a NAD (304 integrated amp). Though I am using the pre-out/main-in loops on the NAD for connection to the 492. Very nice sounding processor for the money ($250 at American Sound of Canada). I have all my video products (DVD, VCR, SAT, TV) connected to it. All analog audio get's connected to the NAD direct.

For the price, sound quality, and ease of interfacing it with my equipement, I can't complain.

Until I can afford a Rotel RSP-1066/RMB-1075 combo, this is a good enough system for me.

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have a NAD C370 integrated amp and I wanted to get into the home theater scene. But I did not want to give up my NAD integrated so I found this three-channel amp. I am running a DVD player with a built-in DTS decoder directly into my integrated for the fronts while the Yamaha drives the centers and rears. Speaking of which, this unit allows for two centers which I am using Paradigm Micros (1 large center would not fit in my cabinet so I have two centers). Rears are Paradigm Cinemas wall-mounted. Unlike a few of the other reviews, I do not have noise or hiss coming from my speakers. I am running everything through a line conditioner so that may be helping. Also, I think a couple of the reviewers complaining about hiss are in Europe so maybe that is part of the problem as well. Not that they are European but that maybe their power supply is not as clean as U.S. supplies. Who knows, just an observation and guess. The Yamaha rates at 60 watts per channel and is more than enough to play extremely loud. Sound is very good. Not great but very good.
The only complaint so far is that I have a VCR hooked directly to the Yamaha which then sends the signal for the fronts via a "main out" to a "AUX line-in" on the NAD integrated. When playing VCR tapes, the output from the Yamaha does not seem very strong. If I have the Yamaha at about 9:00, which makes the fronts and rears very loud, I have to turn the integrated to about 2:00 to get any sound. Now, this is a minor issue as the fronts and rears are more than sufficient and maybe this is a blessing in disguise so that I'll only use the NAD for DVD and music. Maybe I need to connect the "main out" to a different input. Anyway, this is a great unit especially since it has 5.1 inputs. And if you have a DVD player with a built-in decoder, you can connect the front output on the DVD player directly to your integrated thus by-passing the Yamaha altogether. Slight downside to this set up is two volume controls. But who cares, set it at the beginning and watch the movie. Before buying this item I also considered getting a lower-end Dolby digital receiver (Pioneer, Yamaha, Sony), but when comparing such to the spces. of the E492, the E492 blew them away. For example, low-end Yamaha receivers these days have a slew rate of >60, the E492 is >200. So, if you have an integrated amp that you love for music, check this out and it easily adapts itself to your setup without having to buy an expensive receiver.

Submitted by David a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
Very nice unit for upgrading an existing dual channel system to surround sound.

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up on my earlier post now that I have incorparated AC-3. That's why I wanted this unit in the first place (ac-3 ready) So the Yamaha 795 DVD with built in AC3 hooks up very easily and away you go.It's quite flexible in that i can adjust speaker volumes from the menu of the player and or from the 492. The rear channels are nice and clear , as before no center used. But with the 1/2 dozen disc's I have watched I am not all that excited about DVD.Letterbox eats up size on my TV(26"), and you have to crank the volume compared to VHS.Rear channels are slightly more prominent than with Prologic but is it worth it? Plus all the menu setting you go through just to get the movies going. Half the time it starts with the wrong language and or subtitles on! Oh yes the newest weakness in this unit , no DTS !!! Oh well I guess I can start shopping for another box now.