Unison Research Simply Two Integrated Amplifiers

4.75/5 (8 Reviews)

sengled ended integrated amplifier

Submitted by Martin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2017

Bottom Line:
I have this unit for 17+ years.

about 3 years ago it "shorted" and I had it rebuilt upgrading the capacitors and replacing any resistors which looked worn out.

Over the years I've tried several different power tubes including the EL34 Svetlana, EL34 Mullard & KT-77 Electro Harmonic. These did make a difference in sound, but interestingly changing the original Sovtek input tubes to E.Harmonica ECC82 (gold pin) made as a significant difference as chaning the Sovtek Output tubes - possibly bec the originals were some 10+ years old at that time.?

Regardless of the tubes selected the Simply 2 and always sounded very "musical" : ie warm, but lotsa presene and air. Bass is taught and is there but definitely softer and not as impactfull as a good solid state. I found changing the tubes very useful for tweaking the sound.. eg the Svetlana EL34 were more midrangey and gave an edge to the vocals.. the Mullards EL34 were warm and yielded a lotta prescence. If I had to pick I would say the KT77 E.Harmonica gave the best overall performance in terms of being clear, more detailed and having a slightly taughter base. A big advantage of the S2 is with just 2 input tubes it "cheap and easy" to try tubes.. As such I have a pair of 6CA7 E.Harmonicas on order!!

irregradless of the tubes selected, this amp has surprisingly drive.. granted my upgradeds to larger , higher Quality Capaictors would help, but this amp - if matched with the right speakers can real sing!!

todate I've run the Simply two on anything ranging form small bookshelves with 4" woofer to my PSB Image T6, a 3 ways, 3+ft floorstander with 2x 6.5" woofer, 1x 5.1/4" midrangea and of a course a tweeter..

Other speakers used were the Synthesis Melody, System Audio SE, Wharfedale Jade 3, Wharfedale Diamond 220s, Mourdant Shorts etc. I also used them with Wharfedale Diamond 10.3, AAD 3 ways and the forementioned PSB Image T6

With the exception of the Jade 3s, the S2 had absolutely no problem driving them.. Most impressive being the PSB floorstanders as they are situated in a large 20x30ft x 11.5ft high living room and yet I could get ~85db from them (ie sound level just short of acquiring hearing damage with prolonged exposure!). The only speaker they didnt drive well were the wharedale Jade 3s bookshelf 3 ways which are in my 20x18 study room. This I suspect is because @ 84-85db, they are v low sensitivity and a sealed box design while all the others were ported and typically 88+ db and up

All in all a great and stylish Lil Amp!!.. "not cheap", but after nearly 20 years of ownership great value as I still get kick from looking at it. and it still receives compliments - not just from Audio people, who recognize it, but also from non-audio types who intuitive know this lil amp was crafted with "brio"

I guessed the biggest compliment I can give is that afte many years and many other more powerfull amps, I still enjoy listening to it (esp small group Jazz and vocals, but it does other music pretty well too) and am planning of buying a set of matching speakers from Unison's Sister Co - Opera for reputedly these are specifically matched to Unison equipment and thus really "sing" well together

Througly recommended: Pricy but a good long term Investment

Submitted by Raf a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2015

Bottom Line:
It's a great maschine.
Sounds amazing and it is an ultralinear amplifier.
I use it since year 2000 with a pair of Aliante Iperspazio loudspeakers and a CP67 cd player : it is true happiness ! :-)))
I can't describe with other words.

Submitted by Fred Dirac a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
This ampli is really quite amazing...!
It is a "single ended" amp with EL34 and ECC82 as driver.
It is rated for "only" 12 Weff but sounds like 20 ! The music is very detailled, not agressive, certainly due to the possibility to choose a low feedback (about 1,5dB)... It gives life to music ! And in addition, it was offered with a volume control remote ...

Submitted by alex kirkham a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a lovely amplifier. When I first listened to it, I was surprised by the dynamics, and it's here that you gain on the quad II/leak stereo 20 sound (I also have these). If you're thinking of getting a valve amplifier, then do think of an S2 (ie aria = new unison research): the sound is dynamic, smooth, detailed, and the thing is pretty!

By the way, it works wonderfully with LS3/5a s, even if it shouldn't!

Purchased At:   second hand

Submitted by Eric a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've used this little intergrated with a few speakers and it never let me down. Matched with Triangle, Merlin, Angstrom and some electrostats it made these speakers shine. We have to remember that we are not working with huge amount of power but married to speakers that don't have a "roller coster ride" impedence and are relatively sensitive , you can really make your transducers "show off" their stuff.

As for bass. This topic goes hand in hand with the above statements. I have had speakers that "barely" had bass with six times more watts get some gusto when paired with this amp. I was surprised that my Triangle Titus speakers could perform so well (down to 60Hz). It wasn't deep bass but that's what 60hz sounded like "present" not just the "backgroud", barely audible, no impact bass. Don't get me wrong, you're not going to shake any foundations but the sound is all there.

The sound is as clear as a bell (beware bad recordings), transients are snappy and imaging can be scarry real. The most important thing is that it makes me feel the music.

Five stars all the way especialy for this price point!

Price Paid:    $2000.00