Thule Audio Spirit IA60 Integrated Amplifiers

2x 60W integrated amplifier made in Denmark

Submitted by Jadde a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
Upon first turning the Thule IA60 on, I was immediately struck by what I would describe as a meaty bass. It was full, rounded, flowing and warm. I certainly never heard the relatively small Dynaudio Audience 40 give out such bass lines. They literally shook my window panes, If anyting, they are very neutral, but far from shy - when they gave me plenty of bass, I knew that indeed that the IA60 has power. But it’s greatest strength and virtue, is the three dimensional space it recreates. For the life of me, It's almost uncanny how the music begins to breathe, and how you stop listening to a performance and are simply thrown somewhere else, where the musicians live. It's a feeling you instantly fall in love with, and something you won't get out of many other amps in this price bracket, check it out.

Submitted by Hans Pedersen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've had a lot of good times with this terrific integrated amp. It plays music with a very high air guitar factor, and drives even heavy speakers. However I've hooked it up with a NAD 216 THX for DVD purposes.
All in all a very value for money product!

Submitted by Harley McGrew a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp because I am planning on eventually moving to Magnepan speakers, and the old Kenwood Pro Logic receiver can't handle the four ohm load. However, there was an amazing quality difference even with the poor old Altec Lansing 83 speakers. This amp is of course rated at 60 continuous watts, not peak watts which means that it has a surprising amount of power. At 4 ohms, I believe it's rated at 85 watts or so. There is a fully balanced version that delivers slightly more power at 4 ohms. The unit itself is small, and very solid feeling. It has a single dial in the front and a single button, so it's got a very minimalistic feeling when it comes to the actual design. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of information about Thule on the net, and what is there is often written in Danish or Norweigan (I've read good things about their Spirit CD Player.)
I found the sound itself to be marvelous but the interface and remote control to seem a bit mundane. I'm very satisfied with this amp as an entry into the audiophile world.

Thule spirit IA60