Thule Audio Spirit IA 100 Integrated Amplifiers

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Integrated Amplifier

Submitted by canth a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
Previously I had a Pioneer A400. Great amplifier, but didn't come with a remote. What I wanted was an amplifier with a remote that sounded as good as the Pioneer.
I was prepared to pay around a 1000 euros. Before I could get to listen to amplifiers I borrowed my father's Thule IA 100.
I found that this amplifier certainly didn't sound worse then the A400, and decided to keep it :)

Submitted by Nicke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had a Rotel RA-971 MkII amp for over a year and decided it was time to find something better. The three amplifiers it stood between were: Thule IA 60B (balanced), Vincent SV-226 and Thule IA 100 (not balanced).

First of all i listened to the Thule IA 60B wich is a bit more expensive then the other two amps (costs about $1000). I said that I wanted to listen to it with a non-balanced CD-player (because I don't have a balanced CD-player at home). I compared it with the Vincent SV-226 wich costs about $800.

I was very surprised to hear that the Thule IA 60B not even had close to as pure sound that the Vincent had! It also had worse dynamics and not at all the same control of the speakers that the Vincent had.

I then borrowed home the Vincent for 3 days and played it alot to really get a feel at how it would sound. I was very satisfied with it.

When I were at the store to return the borrowed Vincent I remembered that someone had told me that, played unbalanced, the Thule IA 100 would sound better then the IA 60B, due to the IA 100 having more power.

I then asked if I could borrow the IA 100 to try at home, and I could.

The first thing you notice while handling the IA 100 is that the build quality is great! Everything feels very solid and strong. It's also very compact since it, without being a large amp, weighs in at 13 kilos, about 29 pounds. The front is really good-looking since it only has one button and one volume controller (the one button does everything you need, press it once to start the amp from standby, press it once while on and you change the source and if you press and hold it it goes to stanby again). Really cleaver, since there are no unneccecary buttons to disturb the signal.

Then I started playing my "Reference CD" (that I usually start out with when trying something new) Metallicas Black Album. I wa amazed by the great dynamics and control of the speakers! It also played with great detail and clear sound.

I went on and tryed a lot of diffrent kinds of music (and quality of recordings) and it never failed me. It delivered a great sound at any kind of music. And you could also try turning the volume up extremly high and it still sounded totaly clear, no anoying distortion or anything like that.

If your about to buy an amp in this price range you really should try the Thule IA 100!

Purchased At:   HiFi-Punkten in Trol

Submitted by Blackie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
Dull sound and difficulty driving large speakers. The NAD C340 (not without it's faults) for half the price delivers a much more realistic, open sound than the Thule and costs less than half.

Submitted by Sal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
Great Amp! I was hooked to it after I listened it paired with Proac studio 100 ls.

Purchased At:   Nota+

Submitted by Zaher Khan a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 1999

Bottom Line:
I had the chance to listen to this amp 100w/c , in the dealer shop with the Thule CD 100 ( that I bought ) , and I did not expect that this powerful amp could deliver such cultured sound , such slam , and definition .I think if you have no much money , and you do not want to buy a boring Japanese black box , give this amp a listen , it maight be what you are looking for . I have to get rid of my old amp very soon .

SFLAT: