TEAC AH500 Reference Series Integrated Amplifiers

4.5/5 (2 Reviews) MSRP : $470.00

The Teac AH500 is the ideal amplifier for those audiophiles who lust for great sound, yet don`t want to burst their budget. Featuring a Toroidal power supply, your music will sound great, even through power surges and fluctuations. The Teac AH500 mini-sized integrated amplifier features 50 watts per channel, a 4 ohm drive capability at 80 watts per channel, a motor driven volume control, CD direct, 2 unswitched AC outlets, a headphone jack, and all this in a classic gold color.

Submitted by E George a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
Excellent package. Crystal sound in a distinctive, highly stylized, functional design. Striking visual presentation is paralled with remarkable performance. Coupled with matched TEAC 500 series multi-CD player & tuner with PSB Image 4T speakers it delivers superb audio in a space efficient, eye-catching presentation.

Purchased At:   J&R Music

Submitted by Robert Sobol a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
No way was I going to buy ugly black boxes with cheap plastic dials and display them prominently in my home. Aesthetically, and on the surface, and probably on the inside, too - this system has no equal in it's price range. I really can't say it's less of an amp that my Denon, which cost $400, seventeen years ago. I use the phono input and enjoy my lps as much as I did back then. In this day and age, it is a bonus to get a phono input with any machine. The phono input has little or no gain, though and volume level must be much higher than with CD playback. The gain is a problem in reverse with the CDs though, and I am barely cracking the volume open to settle into a non-fatiguing level. The result is low-fi under performance typical of playing at too low volume. Maybe a tad sibilant-but that might be the CD's fault. My in-wall speakers are 12 ft apart and the sound stage is sometimes unfocused but I believe I can improve that. I have a problem with my listening room being bright and resonant. And this amp has alot of power, and strong bass making matters worse.
My speakers are 4 ohm impedance and the sound can make me jump out of my seat. I am in the process of adding drapes, carpets and switching the 17¢ a foot speaker wire with a $2/ft material and upgrading the interconnect. This is an elegant looking system but not a tender performer.
It may have softened with age a tiny bit, or I might be fooling myself.
If you have a well dampened room, and can run with some volume, you will get excellent depth, punch and detail.
If you are a passive listener you may consider the 300 series or even the 100 being enough for you.
I'm not giving up on this system, though. I believe I can make it work with me and work well. I bought this system because it would look attractive in my home and I thought I could just plug it in and play. But it has forced me to confront issues audiophiles contend with about room acoustics. And bitten me with a bug. If I had it to do over again, I would audition a Creek, perhaps. But I have to doubt that I can improve upon the TEAC with a more or less lateral upgrade, pricewise. What is written about $1000 to $2000 audiophile amps, One can expect to overcome all problems. But I can't afford that. I'll stand by my purchase.

Purchased At:   Soundcity