Sumiko Primare I20 Integrated Amplifiers

• Power consumption: Stand by<15 W
  • Dimensions (WxDxH): 430x275x95 mm

Submitted by Nero a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2005

Bottom Line:
Hello, want to report my impression of this integrated amp. At first i thoought something was missing, the realism of music. It played very well stunningly good in all aspects, but the last in dynamics was missing. The little tingy that was missing was that the amp wasn´t grounded, after the connection a whole new amp emerged. This thing plays absolutely perfect nothing is missing. Highs are airy and well extended, mids are great, voices are very natural and the bas is great for the price, ok this is not a krell, but it is a mini krell in how it presents music overall. Any person who is looking for a new integrated amp should audition this, but bevare you must ground the amp or else it won´t sound to it´t real potential.

Purchased At:   Local dealer

Submitted by Katty a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
I am using ProAc 1sc and clone ProAc 2.5. People said ProAc is best matched with tube gear. If it it SS, Primare would be a good choice.

I planned to audition Primare A30.1 but I ended up buying the I20. Suprisingly I like the sound of I20 more than A30.1. Maybe the power of A30.1 is higher but I20 is more than enough for me. My listen area measured around 220 sq ft.

The speakers demoed in the shop was B&W N804 as they didn't carry ProAc. It was neutral, rythmic, and pace is just right.

It was not alright when I first hook up to my speakers. Everything was good except that it could have been more full bodied.

I then replaced the speaker cable to Taralabs Prism 500 (previously QED 25th). And changed the power cord to an XLO. Wow, what a difference! Sound was transparent, with clear vocal and full bodied bass.

I may trade my other component but will never trade this amp!

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is the follow-up and also a clarification on certain misleading information in my previous posting.

1. The Purchase Price shown in my last post is after the Trade-in (old Marantz Amp) price.

2. The Actual Purchase Price I paid for the I20 is USD1,090 (using exchange rate 1 : 4 Malaysia Currency). I usually round-up the currency for convenience purposes.

Sorry if anyone is mislead and any inconvenience caused by me.

Thanks

Purchased At:   CMY Malaysia

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
Seem like Primare is not so popular in this website. Wondering why such a sexy looking yet good sounding machine attract less users???

This is a follow-up from my previous review. I have used the amp for roughly 4 months now (usage approx.200 hours).

During the period, i have upgraded my old budget Marantz CD4000 Player to Marantz CD7300 Player.

My existing system:
Marantz CD7300 Player
Monitor Silver Interconnect
Primare I20 Int. Amp.
QED Plus Bi-Wire.
ProAc Studio 125 Speakers.

After upgrading the CDP, the overall sound move to a new level. The previous grain and harssness at high volume been smooth out by the CD7300 totally.

The Primare + ProAc Speaker are considered quite neutral and it really reveal the weakest component in my previous set-up : the Source. This means that Primare is such a good amp that she make full use of the information getting from the source, good or bad. Bad Source give bad sound, it's just simple.

I should said that now my existing source is at least closer to the Primare + ProAc status (of course the Primare D20 Player is the best match, but just too expensive, 3 times the price of Marantz CD7300.

The sound (now at least):
- More analog.
- Smooth
- Open
- Relax

One afternoon, i went to the hi-fi shop that selling Rotel & Exposure (being there during the pre-primare for demo).

The owner demo me the Rotel Pre/Power, Exposure 2010 CDP / Int.Amp / Power, again. This time, i can very sure telling the differences with my System (The pricing is almost equivalent with mine).

The Rotels is totally out of competition, they sound lean, bright and harsh at HF.

The Exposure 2010s is better than Rotels, but the Exposure 2010s sounding eventhough punchy and fast, but lean, thin and bright as well. It may sound impressive for 5 min demo, but not suit for long hours listening. Adding a Power Amp gave more head room but retain same character. I am dissapointed with the Exposure 2010s.

Finally, confirmed that i have made a right choice 3 months ago. The Primare + ProAc pairing beat the above.

The I20 is amazing good product, I am so happy living with her, very pretty too. Go buy it, guys

Purchased At:   CMY

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
Just bought the Primare I20 (trade-in my budget Marantz PM4200) after listening to stuff like Exposure 2010, NAD 372, Holfi 8s, Marantz PM17 SA.

I prefer the I20 which is a more refine then NAD 372 n Exposure 2010. At the same time more muscular than the Marantz PM 17SA.

When demo, the dealer use the I20 to drive a pair of ProAc REsponse 2.5 - amazing sound. the PM17SA can't really drive the ProAc, struggeing sound constrain.

The Primare is a step further than those.

Still running-in the I20, eventhought my other stuffs are still budget gear, i am going to build a good sistem around the amp from time to time. The next to chop will be the speaker.

Excellent Amp, go buy it guys.

My set-up : Marantz CD4000 + Primare I20 + Mordaunt-short 902 + Monitor Interconnect + QED cooper cable.

Purchased At:   CMY

Primare A20MKII / I20

Thinking to upgrade to the A20 MKII / I20. Anyone using this amp ??? Comment ?? Thanks.Read More »

Primare I20 or A-10

I am planning to upgrade my amp to Primare I20 or A-10. What u guys think? Good amp?? any user comments? Please.Read More »

High End: